• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fawkin Raccoons

Snipey

Veteran CEG'er
stopped at the memorial drive taco bell on my way home from work and on that road by bondies island there was a huge dead raccoon in the middle of my lane. it was too late to dodge safely so i did the best straddle i could..only to hear a terrible thud. got home and attempted to assess the damages..

-recently installed rear elky mesh -> GONE
-nasty fur on exhaust bolts -> gross
-slight fluid leak seemingly near rear of oil pan(looked like half a cup in the 2 hr period i was parked)

im not sure if it took anything else out on its way through but it did look like something might be missing behind where the rear mesh was

ill hopefully get a better idea of the damage tomorrow before work when its light out... definetly not about to drive 30mins each way with that much oil leaking

maybe he just loosened it a little bit?
i can picture it...
the racoon is going under the car and with lightning quick reflexes, whips out a rachet and looosens a few bolts as he goes by the pan...the whole time mumbling under his breath "this'll teach him!!"

so it turns out the dripping was coming about 6inches farther back than the rear of the oil pan... and was only about a couple quarters size of drip overnight.

im due for an oil change so that will happen this weekend i hope, couldnt spend the time to jack it up before work but i dropped a little oil in anyway.

any idea what the mystery leaker is?

I hate coons...although for a slightly different reason. I have a garden and the coons just LOVE to eat the sweet corn. They wait to the night that the corn is perfectly ripe and then they move in and have a feast! This year I put up a fence around the corn and it seems to be working so far. If this fails, next step will be an electric fence.

You did hit an animal. Are you sure its oil? Wash the area down and see if it gets dirty again. If it stays clean then it might just be some residue left behind from the racoon.

Speaking of racoons I saw one today. On the side of the road. It was a skinny fella about 2 inches thick. oooyyyyaaahhhkkk [getting ready to dry heave sound]

i once drove by a raccoon that was dead on its back, arms straight out...and some sick ba$tard put an empty beer bottle in its hand, i laughed so hard...

well i dont think its 'coon juice because i drove about 10 miles before i parked, then 2 hrs later i noticed the 3 foot trail of 'fluid' (steep hill not too much juice)

i think ive had a slow oil leak and this incident just seemed to step it up a bit i guess. probably going to get it checked somewhere (hopefully a reputable place) around here and fixed up right.

im hoping to get back on route 5 to see if i cant find at least the mesh part.
im hoping it was thrown off the road and not creased to hell

I saw two really fat raccoons yesterday under my neighbors deck :shocked:
They better not come scrounging around my house!

Back