• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Exaust

KennyT772

Veteran CEG'er
Saturday I through my car up on the lift and gave it a full inspection. I found my muffler is starting to rust out on me and that got me thinking about what I should do. I'm already planning to cut out the resonator (2.25in pipe correct?) and now I'm thinking about just cutting out the muffler too.

What kind of effect would it have on the car with so little back pressure?

Also I live in michigan so I don't have to worry about emissions tests or anything so I was thinking about cutting the cat out too. Opinions?

I wouldnt worry about too little back pressure. i was running with 2.5" cat back on the zetec before the turbo and i got a nice power gain out of it.

IMO you can run either 2.25" OR 2.5", whatever is cheaper and easier for you will work well. also, i agree with Hector about only using EITHER a resonator OR a muffler.

Well what would be my best route?

The muffler has a few holes in the bottom, and the resonator looks clean. Would it be that bad of an idea to just cut both out?

Well what would be my best route?

The muffler has a few holes in the bottom, and the resonator looks clean. Would it be that bad of an idea to just cut both out?
i would get the whole system from the flex pipe back replaced with either 2.25" or 2.5" piping and add a resonator or a muffler.

i would get the whole system from the flex pipe back replaced with either 2.25" or 2.5" piping and add a resonator or a muffler.

That's what i did and it sounds delicious imo.

There's a little extra pep in the high end too.

How much would a complete exhaust setup cost with a nice muffler? If I put the money into it I would probably go with a dual instead of the single.

You may be able to find an SVT exhaust someone is selling. You live in MI, so I'm sure you can find someone local too. This is if you want to go dual. Cut out the res or the mufflers for a great sounding zetec. :cool:

I'm thinking I'll get my hands on a SVT and cut the res. Right now the drivers side fender motor mount is top priority, then once I get some cash the exhaust is next. Eventually I would like to swap the atx for a manual...

The SVT exhaust on the Zetec is tricky. You can't really install the whole entire thing, because on the Duratec, the main is located where our flex pipe is, so the best you can do is go from flange-back...kind of. The flange on the Duratec is farther back than on the Zetec. If you want I can snap a pic of the underside of my car tomorrow.

So what I would have to do is make a short pipe with flange at each end to go inbetween the header flange and the exhaust?

The SVT exhaust comes short, about 18", from the flange. The exhaust shop I when to just added the extra piping and reused the zetec flange. Also there is no passenger hanger for the muffler, so that has to be added.

Other than that its a direct fit. :laugh:

How much does the SVT exhaust itself go for? The adapter pipe and right side hanger shouldn't cost more then $30 right?

How much does the SVT exhaust itself go for? The adapter pipe and right side hanger shouldn't cost more then $30 right?

It depends on the person selling the exhaust. I won't divulge how much I spent out of respect of the seller, but it was rather cheap. However, I purchased mine from the flange-back, with the mufflers cut off. I then traded it with a Cougar owner (aircougar) for one that still had the mufflers on (having the mufflers cut made it easier to modify to fit a Cougar, but that's another can of worms). Some people have even offered up the exhaust for FREE for people who will come and pick them up :shocked:. Check the classifieds, that's about all that I can say :cool:

Pics later today of my exhaust BTW.

OK these are probably the worst pics ever of the exhaust, but it was dark out and whatnot, but here you go:

Note: They are all upside down because I was too lazy to flip them, lol

0206080047.jpg

0206080047a.jpg

0206080047b.jpg

So as you might be able to see, there are two welds after the flange. The first weld connects the stock 2" Zetec exhuast flange to the SVT exhaust, and the second is where the resonator-removal straight pipe starts. I'll get a couple more pics up towards the flex pipe for some clarification.

Last edited:
didn't you have a clip of your exhaust setup somewhere?....

curious as to how :drool: it sounds...

i can't get myself to finish mine 2.25 with flex non-dual, magnaflow res w or w/o muffler or another res before tips.

and feawk...I gotta put the damn hitch up too

It's hard to say. I have the SVT exhaust fitting your description of no resonator/stock mufflers, but the SVT mufflers flow better and don't, well, muffle quite as good :). I have links to my exhaust everywhere, take a listen if you want...

Back