• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Equal length "Y-pipe" concept, opinions?

the reason i think this is a problem is because the biggest restriction in my exhaust is where these 2 pipes meet. also, it goes from 2.5" collecting on teh WR Y pipe to the flex pipe which is 3" then to my 2.5" test pipe. i'd rather have it collect 3", go through the 3" flex pipe, then go down to 2.5" test pipe. that'd make more sense. we're probably talking about 1whp here though. i think my limitations right now are in my intake manifolds

wow, that took a long time to get through. so if some long tube headers run a foot past the firewall, why exactly would my first idea be clanging around again?

though, from reading all of that, it looks like folks would really like some real headers...

let me think, and then I'll post in the morning when all of that has fully congealed in my brain...

BTW, my plan is mostly for sound, as I'm pretty sure none of this effort would result in more than a few hp. if that guy wanted to sell those headers though, wow, I can see those tru-dual headers sounding very nice going into a dual inlet single outlet anything

I guess, the basic concept in my brain right now is to get as close to a tru dual setup as possible, but with a single outlet. I know.... thats the point

pretty much, yeah. there's a few other establishments with similar policies, like nasa, audi, the bugatti veyron design team, the builders of the large hadron collider, the A-team, wolfgang puck, and the batman.

but seriousely, it's pretty retarded that nobody makes a real header/y-pipe combo for this car. something like a set of headman chikara's would be pretty nice. you'd think with cougars in ricer mags somebody would have designed something worth a crap for the mass market.

[edit] nice name change BTW, if it wasn't for the sig, I'd have never figured it out.

So the MSDS headers aren't real headers? What because they aren't long tube headers? i believe SHM made long tube headers and they sucked for fitment from what I recall. if you want long tube headers make some. These platforms are basically 10 years dead....what company in there right mind is going to waste time developing headers to fit a CSVT? Even if someone did no one would buy them.... They'd cost a fortune and CEG is full of cheap skates.

These platforms are basically 10 years dead....what company in there right mind is going to waste time developing headers to fit a CSVT? Even if someone did no one would buy them.... They'd cost a fortune and CEG is full of cheap skates.
Amen.

pretty much, yeah. there's a few other establishments with similar policies, like nasa, audi, the bugatti veyron design team, the builders of the large hadron collider, the A-team, wolfgang puck, and the batman.

but seriousely, it's pretty retarded that nobody makes a real header/y-pipe combo for this car. something like a set of headman chikara's would be pretty nice. you'd think with cougars in ricer mags somebody would have designed something worth a crap for the mass market.

[edit] nice name change BTW, if it wasn't for the sig, I'd have never figured it out.

HEY DONT MESS WITH THE A-TEAM:mad:

Equal length primaries on the headers and an equal length Y-Pipe wouldnt make much difference with our cars. I dont think the MSDS guys are buying summer villas with the money they are making off V6 duratec headers.... so why would someone want to spend a buncha money trying to compete with them? Besides, it would have made much more sense to complain about it 10 years ago back when most contour owners weren't just people who cant afford even regular maintenance picking up a cheap beater. Maybe 30 years from now these cars will be collectible and we will get some new stuff in aftermarket.

Anyways, design critiques since I suppose you should know, if you are concerned with space underneath your car.... you would use up more space and sit lower to the ground wrapping a tube around another tube than you would running something under the oil pan as is the case with that other Y-pipe that had been depicted earlier.

Back