• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine Teardown

Redlineracer12

Addicted CEG'er
Well got the junk motor out of the Cougar last night, started to tear it apart today, GROSS :laugh:

:eek:

100_1458.jpg

100_1459.jpg

100_1460.jpg

Luckily, I took very nice care of my old SVT engine :cool:

100_1463.jpg

100_1461.jpg

100_1462.jpg

Should be bolting it all back together sometime this week ;)

My 3l was all red like that. nothing a little carb cleaner couldnt take care of. it wasnt quite so carbon filled, but it had a couple deposits. Steve at tousley told me that the semi-synthetic motorcraft stuff has a tendancy to turn parts red, i also know for a fact that pennzoil does the same. it's not technically bad that its red, but the carbon will tell you if they used a good oil or not. that one looks like they used crappy conventional oil, and changed it about every 5000 miles lol.

nice looking SVT engine, looks like my old one....with more pistons hahahahha

I use the MC blends for the most part. I don't see the need for the synthetic business really and I don't care how long they say it lasts I would never go 10,000 miles without an oil change :crazy: I definitely wouldn't use the Pennzoil conventional, but the synthetic is supposed to be good stuff. I don't know there is so much bsing when it comes to motor oil that who knows what to believe other than put whats recommended from the factory on factory intervals? :shrug:

I don't see why synthetic is necessary either, even though I always use it. Every car I've owned(5) I take such good care of and replace all the fluids with the best and the best of filters, spend all this money, then sell it within a year. IMO using all the best fluids and synthetic fluids usually isn't worth it, because by the time it will have an effect on engine life, that car will already be in someone else's hands.

I don't see why synthetic is necessary either, even though I always use it. Every car I've owned(5) I take such good care of and replace all the fluids with the best and the best of filters, spend all this money, then sell it within a year. IMO using all the best fluids and synthetic fluids usually isn't worth it, because by the time it will have an effect on engine life, that car will already be in someone else's hands.

Yeah people like mine! I know that is a reason why my 95 lasted so long (and is still on the road to this day). Previous owners used nothing but mobil one every 3-5K miles. Changed the tranny fluid with ford honey etc.

Having all the lifters/rollers cleaned up today. As well as maybe getting the valve covers sandblasted :cool: I'll paint them up nice tonight. Other than that hopefully I can go pickup all my new gaskets and what have you and start bolting things together tonight. I'd really really like to be done with this by Sunday as I might be out of a car by then w00t.

Back