• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine needs to be replaced. Its making a loud rattaling noise.!?

hello sir thanks for the links, would u not mind finding me the part numbers i need for both the connecting rod bolts and the clevite bearings for my car please? Its a 98 ford contour V6 so i will need 12 bolts and 12 bearings, if u could find me the part numbers i can put it into the search and hopefully they can put them on order, of if u could put it on order and send them to me, i will pay u for the hassle by paypal, i wont mess u about, let me know please any info appreciated thanks :)

so i was getting this same rattling noise so i replaced the bearings, drove it home last night...on my way to work today and the same noises appeared and the car kept stalling...:$

Well, I just got around to pulling apart a motor with a similar noise - rod bearing was completely destroyed and it took the crank with it. I think the rattling is the crank on rod (steel on steel) after the bearing spins.

so are you trying to say that the worn bearing made a bigger groove on the rod, so when the new bearings go on it won't fit the same and cause the new ones to still spin around? my car kept stalling today also, oil light kept flickering and it does have oil in the engine....so if i replace the crankshaft will i save my self from getting a new engine nd save the car?

so are you trying to say that the worn bearing made a bigger groove on the rod, so when the new bearings go on it won't fit the same and cause the new ones to still spin around? my car kept stalling today also, oil light kept flickering and it does have oil in the engine....so if i replace the crankshaft will i save my self from getting a new engine nd save the car?

Not exactly sure, just sharing what I pulled apart and how it sounded.

If your oil light comes on there is NO oil pressure and nothing going up through the motor. That wasn't the case with my motor - it did still have oil pressure. No way I would have saved it either. Just toss it and get get another or go 3L. I went with another 2.5L in my car because I already had a used motor from another CEG'r.

well guys ill let u know how i get on tommorow, im gonna cut the bolt thats broken in half then drill it out and replace with a new one, then when i get the blowing to stop on the y pipe then im gonna listen to see if ive got a knocking, i only replaced that one bearing but ive got all 12 bearings and bolts if i need to replace them all, my friend said that the bearing i just put in will need time to bed in so im gonna fix the bolt first to see if the engine is making any noises again, but when i replaced mine the oil light went out as its always done, if yurs isnt goin off then u have no oil pressure but thats already been discussed above, i had the recovery man tow me home on his truck as i didnt want to risk goin back home which was a 13 mile trek, but if u were still usin yur car then it might have done some damage to the crankshaft, which is deff a new engine or new crankshaft with bearings which still requires engine out, good luck buddy hope it goes well for u :)

p.s. if i do change all the bearings on the car i will take photos of the job, step by step, do u want me to sort of provide a how to with some pics? Just need to figure out how to post pics on this site.....

Back