• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine gone?

Check the order of ignition wires to cylinders and make sure they match up. I had a shop once match #5 to #6 and vice versa and it caused the car to missfire and never exceed 4k rpms. I would hit 'the wall' around what I would imagine to be the top of 2nd gear in a standard car, but mine was automatic.

Could be a bad or poorly gapped sparkplug?

Other than those minor things I really don't know what could have happened.

Last edited:
Well I got a call from my mechanic. He said he saw the car in front of the shop on Sunday and feared for the worst. He says it is most likely a thrown rod or something. He's going to tear it apart to find out what went wrong, and quote me on some replacement engines.

I almost want to do the 3.0 upgrade, but after driving this 08 rental car I think I'll pass.

Anyone want an otherwise good SVT? Paint looks bad, but interior is almost perfectly pristine and it has new tires and brakes all around. Black/Midnight Blue.

Well let us know how the tear apart goes. I'd hate to have him find nothing wrong mechanically and it really be something electrical.

Damn dude... sorry to hear, all along I was thinking that it was a thrown rod. Even a main bearing or rod bearing can make those described sounds, but if it was excessively banging... more than a loud rattle, it's more than likely a rod, not a bearing... or possibly a bearing that caused even more damage with a rod. Anyway, doesn't sound good... your gut instinct is probably right, hate to sound like that, but those sounds are NOT good man. Sorry to hear, let us know how it goes. Bummer, you really missed out on more time with what is a really, really fun car (as you know).

Back