• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine detail

my98SVTturbo

Hard-core CEG'er
my engine looks really dirty and bland. what are some good ways to spruce it up and make it look brand new and have a shiney finish to it especialy on the plenum

Use some diluted simple green or super clean degreaser (super clean is better IMO). Wet the engine a bit (being mindful of the intake), spray the engine with the degreaser. Wait a few minutes for it to start working and work at the dirtiest spots with a soft brush, rinse and you're good to go.
I've been detailing for roughly 5 years and this has always worked well for me. Hope it helps!

Have you had any problems arrise from water getting down in the plug wells? I cleaned my engine like this on my 94 SHO and I had one of the cylinders miss firing. As it turned out water got down in the plug well and causing the plug wire to arc across the valve cover plug well... no good. I had to replace the plug wire.

I guess if you are going to do this I would make sure your plug wires are sealed quite well against the valve cover so you don't have the possibility of this happening to you when you clean the engine.

you could always use a sparay bottle with water instead of the hose...then it wouldn't be too bad as far as water in the spark plug holes...

If you use a hose just dont use a nozzle. Let it flow freely out of the end. A jet of water could force water in places it wouldnt normally go. I have never had a problem with water getting where it shouldnt. Also, run the engine afterwards to let it heat up and help evaporate the water more quickly.

I did my E-Zero engine compartment last month before the Saleen show... came out very nice (see below).

I wrote a dissertation about my procedure after I got my car a couple years aog and posted it at www.waxforum.com. You can see the post, with pictures, here: http://www.waxforum.com/showpost.php?p=1846&postcount=12

The only difference I did this time was after I used a mild degreaser and agitated greasy areas with a small brush, I used a car wash solution in a spray bottle as a "pre-rinse" before rinsing gently with a hose. I also kept the hood up and was sure not to soak it too much with water, and let it "drain" a bit before I later dropped the hood.

Then after my rinse with a hose, I diluted my Mothers Protectant with filtered water so it was a 50/50 mix and put it in a spray bottle with a fine mist setting. I sprayed everything, including the hood insulator. Then I ran the engine.

The whole procedure took about a half hour.

Now I will admit that this time I got a "Check Engine" light for a couple of weeks, but it finally went out.

About the only thing it needs now is a new oil filler cap and my battery terminals cleaned-up.

Attachments

• JimD_P1010024_72dpi.jpg
    JimD_P1010024_72dpi.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 0
Simple green automotive, rinse, CD2 engine detailer, and about 15 minutes of my time.
jeff-dirty.jpg

jeff-clean.jpg

I also use CD2 engine detailing, I used to buy the 2 can set, degreaser/detailer, locally but I cant find it anymore.

Back