• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Energy Suspension Rear C.A.B.(Bushing)Set

'98ZetecSE

CEG'er
I bought one of ES's 4.3154 rear C.A.B sets but it only includes 4 bushings. Two larger ones and two smaller ones. Is this set just for the rear control arms only? what about the tie rods, knuckles and front control arms? I know from the dealer parts illustrations (similar to the ford parts online illustrations: http://www.trademotion.com:80/partl...r=1998&graphicID=FMP100&callout=4&catalogid=1 )
that the tie rods (6) and knuckle (6) take the same bushings as at least one end of the rear control arm (4). Does anyone have a kit that replaces all of them? I was hoping that I could have this done now and then I would consider those adjustable rear control arms later.

Attachments

• ES Bushings.jpg
    ES Bushings.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
those are for the trailing arms. they run length wise of the car and the trailing arms are in front of the rear sub frame and attach to the sub frame.

Don't you mean the trailing arms run width wise? The Tie rods run length wise or front to back. Nice Car!

'98ZetecSE

LOL thats what i thought to brett. Accoarding to the Mechanical diagrams on fords website rear tierods run for to aft and the control arms run inbetween the rear wheels

If you look under the car there are three arms. Two that run left/right and one for/aft. Both the control arm and tie-rod run left/right and the trailing arms are for/aft.

LOL thats what i thought to brett. Accoarding to the Mechanical diagrams on fords website rear tierods run for to aft and the control arms run inbetween the rear wheels

GTFO! I just now looked at the diagram. That has to be in correct. You can't adjust toe for aft, you would be adjusting rear caster:crazy: .

LOL I know i pulled apart the whole rear suspenion the other day to put these in and was like WTF I took out the tierods as they call them thinking thats where they go.

If you look under the car there are three arms. Two that run left/right and one for/aft. Both the control arm and tie-rod run left/right and the trailing arms are for/aft.

And you sir are incorrect.

Accoarding to FoMoCo

I know what Ford says however they are wrong. Technically there is no tie-rod in the rear only a trailing arm (for/aft), a control arm (front arm of the two left/right), and a toe-control arm (rear arm).
the for/aft arm does not control the toe therefor it cannot be the "tie-rod" the only arm that even allows adjustment is the toe-control arm. people call it the tie-rod because it controls toe like how a tie-rod does for the front.

ES Set 4.3154

ES Set 4.3154

Thankyou for the info. So, where should these four ES bushings go? In the rear arms? There are only four per set:two large and two small. The name on the package is "Ford Rear C.A.B. Set". The dealer illustration that I have shows that the for/aft rod, the knukle where it connects and the subframe end (maybe both ends) of the rear arm all use the same Ford part # bushings. Does anyone know if the rear arm has the same size bushings in each end? I'm going to call ES if they have a number.

'98ZetecSE
118,000 Miles

Ford calls the freakin' end links (which connect the sway bar to the control arms) tie rods! The gent who stated that at the rear, there are 3 control arms per side gets the prize. 2 lateral arms (toe arm and main arm) and 1 longitudinal (trailing) arm.

Tie rods, where I come from, are what attaches the steering rack to the knuckle.

Before you attempt changing those bushings, let me give you a word of advice. I changed mine not too long ago, and the only way you will finish this correctly is if you have an air compressor with an air hammer with chisel attachment. It tells you this on the How-to and believe me, this is a must because otherwise you'll spend hours on trying to get those sleeves out of the knuckles, I promise. I ended up buying an air compressor and the air hammer because I did spend hours on this, it'll make your life much easier and will lower your blood pressure at least 50 pts.

Thank you for your advice. I have the tools but I'm far from home. Even if I was at home I'd need a bigger garage! I'm going to have it done at a local shop. I believe you about the air hammer. When I asked the guy at Autozone (where I got them) how to do it he just made an air hammer gesture and said "there really isn't much holding them in there".

Back