• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Enclosures question

Now you've gone and changed the comparison... you are now talking sealed vs ported, not small vs large. None of the three links you provided before were a sealed box so I do not know where that even came into your discussion.

A ported enclosure is inherently more efficient than a sealed enclosure. As a result, it is capable of being louder with the same input.

A small ported enclosure can be louder than a large sealed enclosure (again, depending on the characteristics of the driver used), so your small vs large argument still falls apart.

Just give it up, will ya? I have the laws of physics on my side.

LOL I check back and wow!!! LOL

This FordSVT98 clown obviously can't read sig's

I'm actually curious to know how loud FordSVT98's system has been measured in competition, and the format that reading came under:

- legal/outlaw/portwars (if portwars don't even bother posting the number... I've seen totally stupid high numbers in portwars from a single 10).

- quantity & size of the drivers used

- rms rated power of the amps used

I will admit to not being an SPL guy, but I have had to do SPL as part of the SQ competition and my scores are "decent for a low-power SQ car". Keep in mind I competed in the 1-600 watt SQ classes, so I had only 300 watts rated power going toward spl (the other half was for the SQ system).

I was an event coordinator and spl judge for over two years at SLAP competitions so I hung out with the SPL competitors and saw all their setups to verify them. I also hung out with my teammates that were competing on Team Thunderforce (MTX Factory-sponsored team) in IASCA and USACi from 2001-2004. I was with my installer when he competed in SPL competition in 1995 and he was doing 153dB's (using relatively small sealed enclosures, btw, but it was optimum for the drivers he was using) back when Fukuda had the World Record at 158db. So yeah, I have learned more than a few things about effectively competing in SPL over the years.

SoundQ you can honestly sit there and say that my lil analogy isn't correct huh...

Bigger the box = hit louder, and take less watts to get there

Smaller the box = tighter bass, and more watts to get almost same effect as a bigger box

I mean really.

Youre literally ripping me apart cause I said this, and you sit there and say that what I said doesn't apply huh? riiiiight.

SQSVT said:
"A small ported enclosure can be louder than a large sealed enclosure (again, depending on the characteristics of the driver used), so your small vs large argument still falls apart."

I am with you 100% on that but.....
Im talking about the same 12" in a different size box.

This is really what im trying to ask of all your expertice soundq....
Wich box will be the loudest for the sub?

The small enclosed sealed one?

Or the Big Ported Box?

Obviously Im going to get 2 different sounds and frequencys, but to match the bass level of the Ported box i will achieve, The gain on the amp for the sub in the sealed enclosure will have to be turned up to get the same effect am I wrong?

Or Unless the small sealed box will be LOUDER.....Im wrong then.

oh...
Originally Posted by Steeda...

I have a ppi pc2600.2 bridged at 4 ohms pushing 600 watts to 1 single kicker l7 12" in a ported box. Ive never had a Db Meter on it, (although it would be fun) I'm not bragging but it can get loud. So, .........

I prefer a ported box, over sealed simply because I like the sloppy deep loud annoying bass, not the SQ sealed box quick reflex bass of a sealed enclosure.

What sig lol....did you mess up my sig steeda? AGAIN !!!!lol.

SoundQ are you with me at all on this or am I really really wrong?

Last edited:
SoundQ you can honestly sit there and say that my lil analogy isn't correct huh...

Bigger the box = hit louder, and take less watts to get there

Smaller the box = tighter bass, and more watts to get almost same effect as a bigger box

I mean really.

Youre literally ripping me apart cause I said this, and you sit there and say that what I said doesn't apply huh? riiiiight.

Yes, I can sit here and unequivocally say this analogy is not correct.

SQSVT said:
"A small ported enclosure can be louder than a large sealed enclosure (again, depending on the characteristics of the driver used), so your small vs large argument still falls apart."

I am with you 100% on that but.....
Im talking about the same 12" in a different size box.

I was talking about the same driver in different size and type enclosures as well....

This is really what im trying to ask of all your expertice soundq....
Wich box will be the loudest for the sub?

The small enclosed sealed one?

Or the Big Ported Box?

There you go again, changing your comparison. I bolded the words that changed your argument from your original statement. Your original statement said nothing about sealed vs ported. It only specified large vs small. The ported enclosure definitely has the efficiency advantage for getting loud over the sealed enclosure. However, the size of the enclosure is not what made it louder. Please get this straight in your head.

Obviously Im going to get 2 different sounds and frequencys, but to match the bass level of the Ported box i will achieve, The gain on the amp for the sub in the sealed enclosure will have to be turned up to get the same effect am I wrong?

In most cases, you would need more power to get a driver in a sealed enclosure as loud as the same driver in a ported enclosure, this is true. But again, this has nothing to do with the size of the enclosure.

Or Unless the small sealed box will be LOUDER.....Im wrong then.

SoundQ are you with me at all on this or am I really really wrong?

I would put you in the category of "confused" more than "wrong". Yes you are wrong that bigger is inherently louder than smaller, because it isn't. But you are correct in that ported is inherently louder than sealed. You need to seperate these two concepts from each other.

"SoundQsvt said:
In most cases, you would need more power to get a driver in a sealed enclosure as loud as the same driver in a ported enclosure, this is true. But again, this has nothing to do with the size of the enclosure."

Thank You.

"SoundQsvt said:
In most cases, you would need more power to get a driver in a sealed enclosure as loud as the same driver in a ported enclosure, this is true. But again, this has nothing to do with the size of the enclosure."

Thank You.

For what? :shrug: ...for making a statement that was true and that contradicts your comments that started all this??

Your initial statement is still wrong. Saying "thank you" to one small part of my entire explanation makes me think you still don't understand.

Oh well. :rolleyes:

For what? :shrug: ...for making a statement that was true and that contradicts your comments that started all this??

Your initial statement is still wrong. Saying "thank you" to one small part of my entire explanation makes me think you still don't understand.

Oh well. :rolleyes:

Don't bother to enlighten him anymore, he just doesn't get it. Back to the garage to finish my 14 cu. ft. enclosure.... cuz it slams dude!!

yeah argue with soundQ ...... i still got a boner from listening to his set up at SZ

This is the stupidest arguement ever!!!!
Your arguing with SoundQSVT 5 time world champion in multiple different leagues.

IM not even gonna get into this arguement becuase its pointless. What it boils down to is you are dumb.

Putting a sub in a small sealed box then putting the same sub in a large volume sealed box won't make it sound any louder.

Now a Small sealed and a large ported is different. But that is not what you where stating.

Everything that SQSVT said was 100% stop on. But hey what do I know.

i just read all of this and umm my head hurts from all of what soundQ said. i need to go back and take physics haha.

but from what i understand and im not sound expert is that if say i use a shallow mount pioneer 10'' in a ported box that is within spec it will be louder with the same amount of power then a spec sealed box??

Back