• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

electronic exhaust cut out on svt?

califsvt

New CEG'er
does anyone have an electronic exhaust cut out installed on ther contour svt? if so, how has it worked out for you? also, if you had any dyno results(preferably dyno'd with cutout closed and then open to see results) that wud be great. i have a 99 svt im getting back in september when i recieve my license back. it has no previous mods and im planning on beefing her up just a little bit. im planning to just keep it simple with installing a cai, and gutting the cat. however, the cutout would be easier to install (then gutting the cat) and also pass smog when closed. thanks for any feedback or suggestions!

I do not recall anyone having done this previously. and if they did I doubt that there was any dyno info. also its going to sound like crap, imho, most likely similar to a car with a completely gutted exhaust system. also its going to be obnoxiously loud.

warmonger did some dyno's with and w/o the y-pipe attached on a 2.5L (from what I recall). The difference was pretty decent. It might not be worth the time though.

I've been contemplating it on my car. But I'll do a dyno with and w/o the cat/test pipe... and if it's decent, then I'll put it on the downpipe, just after the turbo.

with the 2.5/3.0 you have to be careful as not to hurt the engine because of the lack of back pressure.

with the 2.5/3.0 you have to be careful as not to hurt the engine because of the lack of back pressure.

back pressure is not an issue, especially with a turbo car. even with an NA car though, the exhaust manifolds alone provide enough back pressure to prevent the exhaust valves from burning, it doesnt take much. in the case of a turbo car, the turbo is way more restrictive than standard NA headers anyways.

actually no forced induction is on my car, the engine was rebuilt last summer and a modified exhaust manifold was added in the process. i do not know much about exhaust manifolds, bt im guessing back pressure is one of the sources manipulated to produce more power? am i rite about that? regardless, im looking at fully adjustable cut outs that can be fully opened, closed and anywhere in between to create back pressure thats needed for non turbo cars. i was just wonderin if anyone had considered or installed one on their non turbo cars. i dnt mind the raspy obnoxiousness, because the valve can be opened and closed at any time. also i think certain cut outs can be placed in various places, before or after y pipe. i may be wrong about that. i will post link for cut outs im considering, and u can all feel free to check it out and leave feedback. far as im concerned theyr universal.

I always thought it would be cool to wire one up so that it opens at the same time as the secondaries.

And backpressure being a good thing is a misconception...Its all about velocity and proper design. Google "exhaust scavenging" and you will probably find some clarification.

I always thought it would be cool to wire one up so that it opens at the same time as the secondaries.

And backpressure being a good thing is a misconception...Its all about velocity and proper design. Google "exhaust scavenging" and you will probably find some clarification.

exactly. you only need a tiny amount of pressure to keep the valves from burning, something like 1PSI or less is more than enough (headers alone provide that). anything more just hurts performance.

I will be installing the QTP one on my car. It will be placed before the resonator, right where the cat used to be. I will be running the 3" version below...

216.jpg

I am considering doing this to my N/A 3L but not until my exhaust is completed for quick gains and driveability it should be a good get. Quick info on back pressure: IIRC back pressure increases low end torque but hurts top end power. That being said...
^HELL YES

thanx for all the feedback! really great input. im thinkin cai, headers, cutout and chip. itl prly add up to a lil over a g, bt im hopin the gains will be worth it nd i know it wud cost more nd nt be as easy to return the car to stock(IF i ever wanted to sell) then if i went the forced induction route. im really likin the cut out before the secondaries idea!

Back