• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

EGR, wipers, brakes

Hurrycane

CEG'er
So I have three problems.

Windshield wipers work, but the intermittent function doesn't; they are either on or off. When I turn the wipers off, they do not return to the down position but stop wherever they happen to be when I turn them off.

Car runs a little rough when accelerating at lower revs. In the past, when the weather is cold, it revs up to 2500 when first started, then drops so low it stalls. Pretty sure it's the EGR because I sprayed some cleaner in there and the problem went away temporarily. I have cleaned the MAF. I would like to get the EGR off and either replace it or give it a thorough cleaning. There are two bolts that are easily removed but I can't get a wrench on the EGR to remove it.

I put new brake pads on the front because the brake pedal goes nearly to the floor. Old pads were nearly worn out. Pedal still goes to the floor. Brake fluid is at the correct level, and pumping improves pedal pressure, but I don't have a lot of confidence in these brakes.

Any ideas?

Craig

Brakes need bled correctly, starting at right rear corner, then left rear corner, right front corner and end up at left front corner. Look for leaks at each corner, either before bleeding or during bleeding operation. Get these brakes fixed as #1 priority, please.

Stalling bud look at the iac first. And do you have any codes? Egr general issue is behind the tb. When you remove it there are passages that clog up behind it.

Back