• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

E85 anyone?

matman03

New CEG'er
Has anyone tried running E85? I'm sure 100% will not work but has anyone experiment with percentages? I've run 75% gas to 25% E85 without issue but I'm curious how far to go.

If you are just asking to know if anybody has than I don't think anyone has. If you are asking because you want to run e85 then the first question is why? The post BrApple linked to has good information in it. read it. The only gains I see from E85 is that it is high octane from the pump. So if you have high Compression, advanced timing, or boost it could be beneficial so you don't have to go get race gas every fill up. If you want to do it on a stock engine I would recommend not. You do have to tune the computer for it to run properly and you would pretty much have to wait until your fuel system collapses to find out what parts can't handle the ethanol and replace them with a part that does.

The link post was useful but extremely remedial. I understand the pros and cons of E85 and have used it in quite a few vehickes including my racecar which is obviously built for it with 13.5 comp and plently of timing. Eventhough it has higher octane is has less btu's thus the compression and timing to burn it more efficiently and get it's full potential.

My questions was aimed at the person who had already experimented on E85 percentages due to the $4.30 per gallon gas out here in CA as well as reducing the dependance on foreign petrolium. Alot of the times the factory ECM will compensate for E85 to a small extent and make it livable. I am wiling to live with a 5-10% reduction in power as my car is primarly a commuter vehicle.

RAD Merc VT- the fuel system will not "collapse". Alcohol dries out cork and to a very small extent rubber seals. Luckily, E85 isn't 100% ethanol and when was the last time you saw a cork gasket or rubber? O-rings and the "rubber" gaskets on the market right now are synthetic blends capable of handling the temps, pressures and chemicals found in and on our vehicles.

I have run 25% E85 to 75% 91 octane gas without issue. I will continue to "play" with each fill up.

Back