• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dyno 2/13/2008 3 liter intakes test

well the new motor for the car is being dropped off today from LKQ and I will be making a large spacer behind the TB for the SVT UIM to see if increasing the plenum size makes any difference on the power. Plus I will test the 65mm TB on the setup to see if any gains are there too. Right now we have four and possibly a ST220 manifold to test making it five different manifolds hitting the dyno. I will be hard to work this week putting this motor together along with another 3 liter turbo that is 60 % done now. Joey

I also thought long ago maybe a phenolic spacer between the lower and upper intake could be help full?? But i was attacked by the big boys on here calling the idea stupid.:shrug:

Spacer between tb and UIM is a good idea to test. Almost everyone calls the power gains by this simple plate a lie. I'm glad we are about to all find out what setup is best.

Thanks again joey!!!

I also thought long ago maybe a phenolic spacer between the lower and upper intake could be help full?? But i was attacked by the big boys on here calling the idea stupid.:shrug:

Spacer between tb and UIM is a good idea to test. Almost everyone calls the power gains by this simple plate a lie. I'm glad we are about to all find out what setup is best.

Thanks again joey!!!

I remember reading those LIM spacer threads. I thought the consensus was that the OEM plastic+rubber gasket acted as a type of phenolic spacer, so there was no (or little) need for an aftermarket one. The t/b would be a better place to do that, since it's basically metal on metal. I made a 1/8" gasket out of teflon to get around that.... but an actual spacer sounds interesting. Joey, how much are you thinking of spacing it out?

A spacer between the upper and lower would simply increase runner length and move the power band DOWN the rpm range. Not horrible, but the opposite of what most are trying to do here.

Thanks again joey!!!

Several of the folks here with engineering background have wondered if increased plenum volume might improve the performance of the SVT manifold. This is why Joey is giving it a shot. After going over it a few times myself, I've changed my mind about what I think it will do. Originally I thought it would probably help a little at high rpm, but after rethinking things, I now think it probably won't change much at all on a dyno plot.

I've changed my mind about what I think it will do. Originally I thought it would probably help a little at high rpm, but after rethinking things, I now think it probably won't change much at all on a dyno plot.

Just bringing up a point to ponder this. 3L engines equipped with the SVT manifold benefit upon further honing thus additional internal volume.

I'd like to hear your reasons as to why you think it won't help much if you don't mind sharing?

Just bringing up a point to ponder this. 3L engines equipped with the SVT manifold benefit upon further honing thus additional internal volume.

I'd like to hear your reasons as to why you think it won't help much if you don't mind sharing?
I would wonder how much volume could be added by a spacer and not sure an adequate enough amount to see dyno changes that are repeatable.
If this was a more popular engine or we had a member with engine dyno access, the best way to try all these things would be an engine dyno session. Otherwise many of these changes are hard to give an accurate comparison. You really need same dyno/same conditions back to back tests and I think its cool he's trying to do that.
-J

i contacted outlaw enginerring a couple of years ago about making some pheno's for use...the said that the stock gaskets kept the manifolds from touching,so they didnt see a need for one. except for the tb to uim. i've had phenos on several probe gt's they help'd for sure..but werent good for boost,and require longer bolts and occasional re-tq'ing of them. air leaks are common

I would wonder how much volume could be added by a spacer and not sure an adequate enough amount to see dyno changes that are repeatable.
If this was a more popular engine or we had a member with engine dyno access, the best way to try all these things would be an engine dyno session. Otherwise many of these changes are hard to give an accurate comparison. You really need same dyno/same conditions back to back tests and I think its cool he's trying to do that.
-J

Which manifold is better, IMO, would be the one that is used with the correct port style which is what the huge arguments stem over. It's gotten confused that we were not arguing so much as to which one is best but, the fact that this frankenstein combination was being displayed as beneficial. Which I have found no evidence of compared to oval manifolds of similar performance intent.

ST220 would be best production for oval ports and there has been evidence that the pre oval 3L is better for split ports. I would now contest to say that the benifits may only be higher up in the rev range. Unsure of overall benefit to the other parts of the TQ band though. This would need to be analyzed.

The fact that 3L engines still benefit to a good extent from further honing is still a point of contempt to there being sufficient internal volume. What factors are contributing to heightend performance is what I would like to know if plenum volume is not the major underlying issue. I'm after these specifics to the actual design of the manifold vs. dynamometer tests as I have a good idea of the outcome already.

Also, I stress that power figures do not tell the whole story as to how the engine will perform. That is, transient acceleration and the time for gas speed (intake and exhaust) to rise upon throttle opening. Hence why 'time' is a very importnat variable to look at. Getting from point A to point B the quickest is the idea of racing. This may be beyond the scope of what a chassis dyno can illustrate and most likely will not show signifcant impact on power figures if at all.

Last edited:
well the new motor for the car is being dropped off today from LKQ and I will be making a large spacer behind the TB for the SVT UIM to see if increasing the plenum size makes any difference on the power. Plus I will test the 65mm TB on the setup to see if any gains are there too. Right now we have four and possibly a ST220 manifold to test making it five different manifolds hitting the dyno. I will be hard to work this week putting this motor together along with another 3 liter turbo that is 60 % done now. Joey

JO-EY! JO-EY! JO-EY!

Further honing also increases runner diameter, and reduces stangation points in the manifold. These decrease resistance to flow, and consequently improve power if the rest of the engine can accomodate the increased airflow potential. The increased internal volume is minimal and coincidental.

i contacted outlaw enginerring a couple of years ago about making some pheno's for use...the said that the stock gaskets kept the manifolds from touching,so they didnt see a need for one. except for the tb to uim. i've had phenos on several probe gt's they help'd for sure..but werent good for boost,and require longer bolts and occasional re-tq'ing of them. air leaks are common

Phenolic spacers have historically been used for two seperate reasons. One is to increase volume, either of the runners themselves (increased length) or of the plenum. The second is to put a thermal barrier between sections of the intake manifold to prevent heat transfer into the bulk of the manifold in an effort to decrease air intake temperatures. In the case of the Duratech manifolds, increasing runner length would be undesirable, because of the resutling decrease in the torque peak rpm. Increasing plenum volume is still debated and Joey is going to give it a try. The thermal barrier is not likely to be of much benefit because of the gasket designs used on most of the 3Ls.

Which manifold is better, IMO, would be the one that is used with the correct port style which is what the huge arguments stem over. It's gotten confused that we were not arguing so much as to which one is best but, the fact that this frankenstein combination was being displayed as beneficial. Which I have found no evidence of compared to oval manifolds of similar performance intent.

I don't think anyone claims the "frankenstein" combination of split port manifolds over the top of ported oval port heads is beneficial. Typically it could better be described as "adequate for many people". Sure it gives up some efficiency in flow, and removes most of the multi-peak runner effect of the split ports, sure it makes fuel spray patterns less than ideal; but the fact is, despite these issues, they still run pretty damn well. Better than I would have ever expected. Optimal? No, certainly not. Adequate? Yeah, in many cases it is, especially when you consider that most 3L Contours have some level of traction issues on the street as it is.

Then you can consider the same setup, but with Joey's custom lower instead of porting the heads. This setup fixes the fuel injector spray pattern concerns, and gains a decent bit of the lost flow efficiency. Still not perfect, but that's the nature of what its trying to do, mate a split port manifold w/ an oval port head.

Obviously, it would be ideal to keep oval port heads with a good oval port intake, and split port heads w/ a good split port intake, but not all the oval port intakes are good for a high revving engine. And not everyone can get thier hands on an ST220 manifold. I've probably got more connections than just about anyone on here, and even I really lucked into getting my ST220 manifold.

ST220 would be best production for oval ports

Yes, this is presently true, but the 05+ Escape manifold isn't very far behind according to some of the internal Ford data I've seen.

and there has been evidence that the pre oval 3L is better for split ports. I would now contest to say that the benifits may only be higher up in the rev range. Unsure of overall benefit to the other parts of the TQ band though. This would need to be analyzed.

What evidence do you speak of? I'd imagine that any evidence of this nature points to the split port 3L HEADS for any improvement rather than the manifold itself. The split port design provides the greatest area under the curve for cylinder filling (flow is a function of both cross sectional area and flow velocity) and the 3L split ports have the largest intake valves of any of the split port heads.

The fact that 3L engines still benefit to a good extent from further honing is still a point of contempt to there being sufficient internal volume. What factors are contributing to heightend performance is what I would like to know if plenum volume is not the major underlying issue. I'm after these specifics to the actual design of the manifold vs. dynamometer tests as I have a good idea of the outcome already.

The reason additional honing improves flow is elementary, you increase the cross sectional area of the runners, and you improve the amount of air you can flow at high rpm. It's very simple. Extrude honing does not significantly increase the volume of areas where flow is slower in the manifold, namely the plenum. The plenum is sized for the SVT manifold to a level that provides sufficient flow to each individual runner, while maintaining good flow velocity in the plenum as well. Ideally, you want to gradually accelerate the air through the entire intake tract, not accelerate it up to the plenum, and slow it way down, then speed it right back up into the runners. Too large of a plenum is not helpful. Personally, I don't believe Joey's plenum spacer will result in a significant power change for the SVT manifold. I believe that for the most power out of basically off the shelf parts on an NA 3L, you would need split port heads with 3L valves and extrude honed (or expertly ported is even better) ports, and a maximum extrude honed SVT manifold with matching lower intake (while keeping the function of the secondary port throttles for low rpm response and power).

Also, I stress that power figures do not tell the whole story as to how the engine will perform. That is, transient acceleration and the time for gas speed (intake and exhaust) to rise upon throttle opening. Hence why 'time' is a very importnat variable to look at. Getting from point A to point B the quickest is the idea of racing. This may be beyond the scope of what a chassis dyno can illustrate and most likely will not show signifcant impact on power figures if at all.

Transient response is important, but is more a factor of calibration. If you optimize an intake system for transient response, it will end up far too small for maximum power at high rpm. A compromise must be struck, and this is where the whole concept of the secondary port throttles comes from. These provide a far better transient response than the plain oval port designs (which use intake manifold design, cam specs and calibration to improve response) while offering minimal resistance to flow when open. IMHO the WORST thing done by people here for transient response is gutting secondaries . . . All that said, poor transient response is always manageable by getting on the throttle sooner.

The bottom line is that even the worst of the combinations provides reasonably good results for 90% of the potential users . . . and most of the differences between the different combinations would really get lost in the repeatibility of a chassis dyno.

...I don't think anyone claims the "frankenstein" combination of split port manifolds over the top of ported oval port heads is beneficial...

Initially, it was. Which is why it got so out of hand and eventually the proponents agreed it was not optimal. Mine and others arguments have been from an idealistic point of view, which didn't hit home to well at first.

I'm not one to compromise on such things, as far as if I were still be serious with this car, I would end up constructing a better tuned manifold for highspeed efficiency. I realize not everyone has this liberty but, this is just so you see where I and a few others come from in our arguments.

...What evidence do you speak of? I'd imagine that any evidence of this nature points to the split port 3L HEADS for any improvement rather than the manifold itself. The split port design provides the greatest area under the curve for cylinder filling (flow is a function of both cross sectional area and flow velocity) and the 3L split ports have the largest intake valves of any of the split port heads...

I still feel flow velocity is sub optimal and CSA could be reduced as well as valve size. Mainly because I have cut the window area of the ports (before SSR) by 50% and made the same power as identical engines besides said modifications. The engine still needs more tuning as the A/F dipped to 12 @ HP peak and was ~11.6 by 7000RPM so there is a bit of power left in it. It made another 5% peak TQ but has another dip in the curve at that same point. So there is more to be had. This engine was tuned for 5000RPM under driving, peak and highspeed power was not a major concern. Acceleration is quite remarkable since gas velocity is more optimal for the intended range.

I feel port CSA is more than adequete for said reasons, especially for any street engine. Manifolding seems to be the concern. Area may be increased via altering taper angles to allow more area towards the plenum to build velocity more gradually and allow the highspeed potential by reducing the losses in this region. Managing high speed aiflow in a parallel wall duct is very difficult as with earlier manifolds.

The plenum size is of course critical to acceleration, and the sizes may be adequete for what it is being used for but, I still believe that it could be larger. Maybe more so with smaller runner CSA as the split ports do create a significant amount of interal volume as a result of their design.

....Transient response is important, but is more a factor of calibration. If you optimize an intake system for transient response, it will end up far too small for maximum power at high rpm. A compromise must be struck, and this is where the whole concept of the secondary port throttles comes from. These provide a far better transient response than the plain oval port designs (which use intake manifold design, cam specs and calibration to improve response) while offering minimal resistance to flow when open. IMHO the WORST thing done by people here for transient response is gutting secondaries . . . All that said, poor transient response is always manageable by getting on the throttle sooner...

I believe tuning responsiveness should be tuned for the specified range. I'm coming from a more non-compromised setting when I speak of this and obviously, tuning an engine to making excellent TQ and still be responsive over the entire rev range is a bit more tricky as with a street car. Camshaft profiles do have a big effect on this as you need to 'get on the cam' first and large amounts of overlap kill low speed power. The port area should be tuned for the specified range to ensure sufficent volumetric flow but gas speed plays a very big role in how the engine will accelerate.

It's more a peeve of mine when I hear people ONLY focus on flow volume and not taking the time to work out the numbers to check velocity. Shops that don't bother probing the port for airspeed and getting a pressure map. Besides the port needs only be as big to allow sufficient volumetric flow till the point of peak VE or HP where it needs not be any bigger as that is the limit of the cam or exhaust system and mean effective pressure will start to trail off.

Last edited:
i took a split port LIM off of a 3L with the split port intakes. the upper intake is an oval port intake, with about the bottom half inch of it turning into split port...... i didnt know this. it kinda makes me wanna use it but i still think the SVT manifold is better for split port.

How so?

The only reason I say is I know of an owner that had gone a different route and installed one on a hybrid. Against the SVT, there was a noticeable increase in top end acceleration after it was swapped on with no calibration changes.

One has to bring up the question, why? Certainly if the the 2.5L manifold was adequete, the manufacturer would have not spent the extra money to retool for it. While I can see the longer runners to boost low or mid speed TQ for the heavy car with auto trans, he might add this to the list to see if any benefits result that may offer a better alternative to the 2.5L manifold for split port engines.

He might as well drop the earlier oval intake anyway as it is not conducive to highspeed performance, but the newer 04'+ is a must.

Last edited:
One has to bring up the question, why? Certainly if the the 2.5L manifold was adequete, the manufacturer would have not spent the extra money to retool for it.

I haven't had a chance to respond properly to a few of the previous comments in here, but I can't let this one go, because it is such a simple explanation. The switch from the split port to the oval port without the secondaries was a no-brainer from Ford's standpoint. It resulted in something like a $30 per engine cost save, which is monumental in Ford's cost reduction efforts. This amounts to $3 Million per 100k engines built saved, as in cash in Ford's pocket, and considering it was probably about $1-2 million to retool everything, I'd say Ford made a smart choice, wouldn't you? At the same time, the oval port manifold was tuned to better fit the characteristics of the larger taurus. This stupid "extra money to retool" argument keeps getting brought up by people who have no concept of high volume production. I swear, the next person that brings it up, I might have to ban them for just being stupid.

I haven't had a chance to respond properly to a few of the previous comments in here, but I can't let this one go, because it is such a simple explanation. The switch from the split port to the oval port without the secondaries was a no-brainer from Ford's standpoint. It resulted in something like a $30 per engine cost save, which is monumental in Ford's cost reduction efforts. This amounts to $3 Million per 100k engines built saved, as in cash in Ford's pocket, and considering it was probably about $1-2 million to retool everything, I'd say Ford made a smart choice, wouldn't you? At the same time, the oval port manifold was tuned to better fit the characteristics of the larger taurus. This stupid "extra money to retool" argument keeps getting brought up by people who have no concept of high volume production. I swear, the next person that brings it up, I might have to ban them for just being stupid.

So sorry to disappoint you. :) Not everyone comes with the same mind set and thank goodness for it. Lighten up...

So sorry to disappoint you. :) Not everyone comes with the same mind set and thank goodness for it. Lighten up...

Not you I suppose. It's been brought up a number of times by people that should very directly know better ie "Why would Ford spend all that money retooling if it wasn't better?" Eventually, I'll get a chance to put together a detailed response to the rest of the questions posed further up in the thread, lol.

Not you I suppose. It's been brought up a number of times by people that should very directly know better ie "Why would Ford spend all that money retooling if it wasn't better?" Eventually, I'll get a chance to put together a detailed response to the rest of the questions posed further up in the thread, lol.

You seem to have confused my earlier point anyway. I'm speaking of the Taurus SPLIT PORT 3L UIM and not the oval switch. Why a retool for this particular run?

Last edited:
You seem to have confused my earlier point anyway. I'm speaking of the Taurus SPLIT PORT 3L UIM and not the oval switch. Why a retool for this particular run?

Why create the 3L split port vs. the 2.5L split port manifolds? Probably two factors, packaging, and cost. The 2.5L manifold probably violated some clearance requirement in the taurus engine compartment, and the 2.5L manifold with the dual plenum crossed runner design was pretty expensive to cast in and of itself. So again, the original switch was likely driven mostly by cost savings.

so your saying they should have just retooled them then? ha jk

March 26 Dyno Intake test

March 26 Dyno Intake test

just wondering how it's coming along.

I moved the dyno to March 26 because I have to swap the motor out and see about getting the ST220 Manifold so we can have more test plus I need to find a 65mm TB before hand too and make my spacer too. Joey

Back