• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Door stuck closed!

blu_fuz

New Member Classroom vulture
Driver's side rear door won't open. The door won't unlock but you can hear it trying to. You can't pull the lever from outside or inside.....

How can I get this door open without having to put a hole in the door panel to get at the mechanism for the latch? It is wierd :confused:.

i believe its either rip the door panel off or possible take the hinge apart to the door opens some from the front and go from there ... otherwise Im not really sure.

Maybe, but that wouldn't keep me from getting in from outside and the unlock won't "unlock".... wierd.

Just dealt with the same problem on my girlfriend's accord. You have to man the door panel off.

Odds are it's probably the linkage for the lock. At least on hers it was a rod that needed to be adjusted by a few threads within the door. After that it was fine. Maybe the heat caused the latch to swell a bit?

I can't really picture it, but maybe with the interior door handle trim taken off, you might be able to yank on the cable with pliers to release the latch.

It's possible the child lock is on and keeping you from getting out, but the cable for the outside handle is broken.

I will pop off the handle trim and the pull cup from the inside..... Hopefully the cable/rod is accessable enough to get a good pull on it. I will probably end up trashing the door panel anyway but hopefully not.

Maybe try bumping your hip into the outside of the car while simultaneously unlocking the door? My jeep had a latch freeze up on it. it was stuck halfway latched and wasnt allowing the lock to work and the handles acted as if they were not conncected to anything.

Odds are it's probably the linkage for the lock. At least on hers it was a rod that needed to be adjusted by a few threads within the door. After that it was fine. Maybe the heat caused the latch to swell a bit?

Woah, you can adjust the door locks? I thought there was only a cable though, I do not remeber seeing a "rod" like you speak of... Maybe since I do not have power locks?

My 98 Contour has the same problem except it's the right side door. I've torn that thing apart, but no luck so far. Anymore tips or tricks??

~Liz

hes talking about his girlfriends accord

LOL
doh.gif

my trunk didn't open last week but i took of the hinge and everything, it was the actuator that popped the trunk open... It was stuck, now unstuck :)..

you are going to have to take the door panel off :(

the black 99 i had both rear doors were stuck closed on it and according to the current owner still are lol. you can pull the panel with the door shut it just isnt too easy. i did it with no doors open atleast you have one working one lol

the black 99 i had both rear doors were stuck closed on it and according to the current owner still are lol. you can pull the panel with the door shut it just isnt too easy. i did it with no doors open atleast you have one working one lol
yeah, we spent way to long trying to open those damn doors. then changing the fuel pump from the front seats was a PITA too. lol :laugh::laugh:

Fuz, have the same problem with mine and this works for me. Open the front door and reach back with your left hand to the latch. manually press the mechanism by the handle to the unlocked position THEN press the unlock button on the drivers door. dont release until you pull the inside door handle on the back door and it should open. Will remain unlocked until you lock again. Hope this helps.
Bill

Last edited:
Had this problem with my drivers door. The plastic clip that keeps the "open" rod in place decided to play magician and disappear. luckly I was able to mess wtih the lock button from the inside while trying the inside door handle. It finally opened. At the time I didn't have my parts car so I had to go to ford for the clip. It's less then 1/4" in diameter and they bent me over for $20!! Just my 2 cents.

Ewww, you guys are good. I will have to charge the battery up and get pulling! I wish I read this earlier so I could have tried it tonight...... should let you know tomorrow if it worked.....

Back