• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

dont care about looks. only performance

i've never really lookin into the class's. i thought it was a just for fun kinda thing. thats stupid that cuz you have a gutted interior you're in a higher class. i did the interior to save weight for drag racing and for better fuel economy.

also, great info guys, have to look into prices...

i've never really lookin into the class's. i thought it was a just for fun kinda thing. thats stupid that cuz you have a gutted interior you're in a higher class. i did the interior to save weight for drag racing and for better fuel economy.

Are you kidding? Did you ever actually look at the weight of what you removed? Taking out the back seats will do NOTHING for you. When you get down to stripping the car all around and want to maximize weight savings any way you can, ok. But just the seats alone......all you did was make a 4-door 2-seater.

You want weight savings, start by ditching those heavy ass steelies.

I used to love people with stripped interiors at autox events. Yes you took out your 15 pound back seat bottom but you left the 50 pounds of everything else.

Are you kidding? Did you ever actually look at the weight of what you removed? Taking out the back seats will do NOTHING for you. When you get down to stripping the car all around and want to maximize weight savings any way you can, ok. But just the seats alone......all you did was make a 4-door 2-seater.

Agreed.

Yeah I was just gonna keep my mouth shut on this one and let him think what he wants, but you guys stepped up. ;) By the way, several of the other mods listed in your cardomain also put you (or will put you, depending on if you've done them or not) in hardcore race prepped classes. So I would look at the rules and rethink your strategy if I were you.

Autocross is generally a "for fun" kind of thing...but that doesn't mean a lot of people don't take it very seriously and/or it's a free-for-all.

i didnt just take out the back seats, i took out the carpet in the trunk along with the spare/jack, lug wrench, rear speakers, door panels, seat belts and so on. i'm working on the carpet next. and i've weighed everything and it came up to about 40-45lbs.

The fact still remains you're taking weight out of the wrong end of the car. You could have kept the car usable and simply moved your battery to the trunk to move weight around correctly.

Years ago there was a 3 way grab for GS at my local event (back before the Mini ruined everything). We had my Mx6 Turbo, my friends Tiburon GT and his friends Sentra SER and it just depended on who drove better that day. One month this SVT Focus shows up totally stripped down and the guy was bragging about winning GS everywhere but not only was he awful he also got thrown into some Street Mod class with modded Subarus where he came it way dead last. We laughed and laughed at the guy for the next couple events.

true about moving the battery to the back, which i'm planning on doing, but i dont use the back half of the car for people, so the seats and seatbelts were useless, plus it gives me an excuse to not take people home from work. but i do know its probably kinda foolish to take out the spare and jack incase somethings happens, but i'm willing to take the chance. also, i can throw the seats in in a matter of minutes.

Back