• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Doing an oil change.

Mywhip

Hard-core CEG'er
Well, last time i did an oil change i had some questions, so i ended up having penzoil do it. They did a great job, but charged 30$ and of course i didn't like the oil not being high mileage. So this time i am doing it right.

What is the best oil to use? (187k miles on the car, 96 ATX, etc)
How many quarts?
How much should it cost?

Thanks, tell me if this isn't the right section please.

what oil: what ever you prefer
how much: check your owners manual. iirc its 4.x quarts, I just put in 5 quarts
how much: depends on the filter and oil you want to use. motorcraft filter is about $3 and a 5 quart jug of castrol is like $15 or something like that ... so ~$20 I would say.

what oil: what ever you prefer
how much: check your owners manual. iirc its 4.x quarts, I just put in 5 quarts
how much: depends on the filter and oil you want to use. motorcraft filter is about $3 and a 5 quart jug of castrol is like $15 or something like that ... so ~$20 I would say.
Alright thanks. The reason i ask what oil, is because i want some good high mileage stuff.

I used the valvoline high milage for awhile. after a few changes it made my rear main seal leak worse after it was better.

I just stick with conventional oil, been using castrol.

4.5 quarts. But as Brian said, 5 won't do any damage. I personally use Valvoline Max Life synthetic blend, but it's all preference I suppose. This engine is freaking bulletproof anyways so I'm sure it won't complain what brand you put in.

Just don't use full synthetic.

Same reason you said. Your leak became more prevalent.

but I wasn't using a synthetic .... I was using the valvoline high milage oil. as far as I know that isn't synthetic.

you do know that synthetics causing oil leaks is old hat now right?

Valvoline High Mileage is a partial synthetic. FWIW, its what i used on my Zetec and it had 241K miles with no leaks.

Valvoline High Mileage is a partial synthetic. FWIW, its what i used on my Zetec and it had 241K miles with no leaks.

interesting. I know that for some time i have had a very slight rear main seal leak, black/trans was always damp on the bottom. used the valvoline high milage for 4 oil changes and the leak slowed and it dried up. then all of the sudden it was worse. not that I can comment now as the whole bottom of the engine is covered in oil and dirt. but I still don't loose an appreciable amount but then again I have never really checked :help:

I know they make a semi-syn and a full synthetic maxlife(high mileage), so it wouldn't surprise me if there is a dino maxlife as well...:shrug: I've personally used semi and full-synthetic maxlife with no issues.

Edit: I've used Maxlife in both my Zetec and Duratec for several years now...

Back