• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Does SVT Lock Out Programming?

SkullV

Veteran CEG'er
Hey guys,

I do all my own tuning on my GM vehicles (CTS-V, Grand Prix) but I am new to fords and particularly "tuner company" vehicles. Does SVT lock out their PCMs or can I write over/adjust their tune as if it were a stock Contour PCM?

Hey guys,

I do all my own tuning on my GM vehicles (CTS-V, Grand Prix) but I am new to fords and particularly "tuner company" vehicles. Does SVT lock out their PCMs or can I write over/adjust their tune as if it were a stock Contour PCM?

I believe you can get an Xcal with the pro racer package to do your own tuning.

Yeah, an xcal and PRP package are the only things that are going to allow you to do anything like that and they will run about $700 the last time I knew. We don't have anything like HPtuners for this platform.

I'm actually going to have a buddy of mine who tunes fords professionally do it for me (well use his hardware I THINK its Xcal3) but I just need to know if I am going to have any problems getting locked out of SVT's tune?

I'm actually going to have a buddy of mine who tunes fords professionally do it for me (well use his hardware I THINK its Xcal3) but I just need to know if I am going to have any problems getting locked out of SVT's tune?

The only problem you will have if you are using your buddy's xcal is that if he's already using it to tune one vehicle, he has to return that vehicle to stock before he can use the xcal to start tuning yours.

Basically if you want to maintain your stock tune you will have to buy your own SCT Xcal3 ($379). Then your friend or yourself will have to have a license with SCT for your PCM code. For example mine is RJL1. The license will cost you an extra $145 assuming you or your friend have the Pro Racer Package (PRP) from SCT already. Otherwise you'll have to buy the software and license for $349. This will allow you to create your own tune like others have mentioned. This is the one of the most common ways to tune a SVT Contour. There is another system called Sniper Tuning, but not very many people have used them.

I didn't end up going with the 3L swapped one, but I am going to go with an Xcal3 and custom tune from Joey in the next couple weeks. My club has a dyno day Nov 7 and I already doing an Amsoil Oil experiment for Amsoil on my 500+RWHP CTS-V so Id like to run the new Contour too!

If he has the correct software..he can plug the computer right into your connector and tune your car right off the stock pcm. YOU DON"T NEED AN XCAL!
I don't know why people keep saying this stuff. :blackeye:
The only problem is...some people lost their tunes when they disconnected the battery for more then 30mins. Others kept their tunes...so :shrug:

I would go with an x-cal. But to set the record straight the stock pcm can be tuned!

If he has the correct software..he can plug the computer right into your connector and tune your car right off the stock pcm. YOU DON"T NEED AN XCAL!
The only problem is...some people lost their tunes when they disconnected the battery for more then 30mins. Others kept their tunes...so :shrug:

I would go with an x-cal. But to set the record straight the stock pcm can be tuned!

THANK YOU! That is what I wanted to hear. I'll be getting dyno tuned Nov 7 after some baseline runs the same day. I'm doing the baseline runs not only to get a baseline (duh) but also to make sure this old motor is still fresh enough to be worth a tune!

are you sure about that? From SCT's web site:

http://www.sctflash.com/PRPFord.php

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tune Like the Pro's with SCT's Pro Racer Package:[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]• Tune like the pro's and eliminate the guess work with a system that has been field tested and proven to work.
• Now available in two versions! Burn your tune to a 5 position Eliminator chip that plugs into the PCM or flash the computer through the diagnostic port with SCT’s XCalibrator 2 Flash Tool.
• Built in help files, with the ability to document your changes.
• Easy to use, Windows based program.
• Support for most Ford ECM's (9000+)
[/FONT]

Isn't the XCal the middle man between your computer and the OBDII port, thus requiring it?

yes the xcal takes and holds the tune and communicates it to the PCM to flash the tune to it.

however the PCM itself can be tuned directly. However I don't believe this allows you to go back to stock, nor would it be as easy to change as using PRP and a xcal.

fyi skunk's 2k Se had the PCM directly tuned while on the dyno. the atx makes near the same power as a stock SVT and can keep up with a stock SVT also.

Isn't the XCal the middle man between your computer and the OBDII port, thus requiring it?

It's like HPtuners for GM, your tuner can buy a "tuner shop" package and tune as many cars as they want with the hardware, you just don't have access to your stock tune or changing your tune (which shouldn't be needed with a good tune) I think SCT calls it the Pro Racer Package.

It's like HPtuners for GM, your tuner can buy a "tuner shop" package and tune as many cars as they want with the hardware, you just don't have access to your stock tune or changing your tune (which shouldn't be needed with a good tune) I think SCT calls it the Pro Racer Package.

I have the Pro Racer Package (PRP) and I don't see, or know of, any means for me to flash directly from PRP to the ECM. Only way I know of is using the Xcal.

Harry is this "correct software" you refer to SCT's product like a dealer version of PRP or are you talking about something else? Because if there is a way for me to flash directly to my ECM with my laptop that would be nice. So please enlighten us all with this knowledge if you can. Thanks.

is this "correct software" you refer to SCT's product like a dealer version of PRP or are you talking about something else?
I'll chime in here because I came across the thread. I think you summed it up well calling it a "dealer version" of PRP. I used to work with a guy who was in the process of "saving up the thousands of dollars" that he said acquiring this ability was going to cost him, (I got the impression it was more than $10k). He now has his own shop & does direct PCM reflashing as is being talked about in this thread.

I'll chime in here because I came across the thread. I think you summed it up well calling it a "dealer version" of PRP. I used to work with a guy who was in the process of "saving up the thousands of dollars" that he said acquiring this ability was going to cost him, (I got the impression it was more than $10k). He now has his own shop & does direct PCM reflashing as is being talked about in this thread.

Yep, you need to license, hardware, and software from SCT. Diablo also has various "in house" tuners around the country that paid crazy amounts of money for the ability to do this sort of thing.

Turns out he uses Snyper for Fords. I dynod it to get a baseline and see if the motor was down on power from having 157k on the clock, but it still made 168whp so I'm gonna go ahead and tune it.

Back