• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Do you think my car is worth...

Sprebound

Veteran CEG'er
$3400 with the following issues:

-3rd gear synchro grind.
-a little bit of rust starting under all four doors and a little on the inside lip of the trunklid.
-a 6 inch long gash in my right rear door. (bought it like that, its been filled in with color match paint...really doesn't look as bad as it sounds tho)
-needs camber kit installed. (I have one, but if I were to get a new one, I would rather install it on that one.)
-Paint is decent, not pristine by any measure of the word but not terrible. Basically, proportional to the year of the car I would say.

I have about $3400 left on the loan and I would like to buy another SVT but in better condition...

Car: 1998 SVT Contour with 120k miles

Mods: B&M short throw, weapon R CAI, H&R springs, some sorta exhaust..(previous own installed it and I can find no brand name markings on the back)..that is comprised of two mufflers with 4" tips, tinted taillights, Infinity Reference 6x8's. (I have a really nice Panasonic 70x4 receiver but once again, I would transfer it to the new car.)

I dunno...$3400 seems like a long shot considering the condition of the car, but I wanted to get some second opinions. Thanks!

Sadly enough.. anyone that knows ANYTHING about the car will pay no more than about 2800-3000 or so, I would think.

You'd have to:

find someone that knew nothing about these cars
convince them that they wanted to buy it by showing the performance of it
mislead them on the upcoming repair price.

a longshot at the least, and not very nice to boot.
good luck either way you go.

Yeah...I was mislead when i bought the car in May. I knew about the grind, and at that time it was very faint. But since May, it got more noticeable, but only if I shift it hard. Regardless, I wish I had done more research before I bought the car. I shoulda waited it out a lil longer... woulda shoulda coulda. Thanks for the input. I guess my best bet is to go to the junkyard and hope I find a tranny in good condition...when looking at the internals, could you visually see worn synchros? I mean, naturally, any used trans isn't going to be immaculate...but is there something I should look for or is it just a hit or miss deal?

Best thing I can say is to try to sell the car letting them know (provide proof) that the selling price is simply the payoff on the loan.

Tell them you can't afford it anymore.

Of course, you should still tell them the problems with the car and show the book value.

That is the only way I can see getting rid of it.

I'm so mad that the SVT's value is in the gutter... I really need to get rid of it sometime in the next year, and I'm going to get shafted.

Yeah, well I was looking at buying another CSVT off of ebay. He said he was in debt so he was gonna sell his car, it was a 99 tropic green one, I am sure at least some of you saw it... But yeah, it didn't sell and I was gonna try and sell mine and take out another loan for his. BUT, now he wants to keep it and put a turbo kit in it. Debt/Turbo/Debt/Turbo... something about this doesn't make sense to me. Oh well tho... I need to win the lottery and get a new tranny. Heck, if I win the lottery, I will buy everyone on here a new HMS tranny. Wish me luck!

Yeah...looks like the almighty Contour Gods were not rolling the dice in our favor tonight... There is always Saturday...and next week!

Pro Tip if you have full coverage, take your car to the city leave the engine running and walk away.

Congradulations! You insurace has gone up!

Hahaha...unfortunately I live in Minnesota and the nearest cliffs are like...2 hours away. If I still lived in GA, cliffs are 10 minutes away..haha. And shoot, I don't want my insurance to go up! I only pay $105 a month for full coverage...

That insurance seems high. I pay under $120 / month for two cars, full coverage...

Hmmm...I thought I was getting a hell of a deal. I am 21 (22 in a week) and on my own insurance plan with a clean driving record... Am I getting shammed? I go through Farmers.

It sounds like you're doing just fine. I'm 26 (almost 27) and have an absolutely clean record. Plus, I get a discount for having two cars and a house insured through the same people. I think that's close to what I paid when I was 21.

It sounds like you're doing just fine. I'm 26 (almost 27) and have an absolutely clean record. Plus, I get a discount for having two cars and a house insured through the same people. I think that's close to what I paid when I was 21.

Yeah..I was thinking that too considering my age. I was shocked when the insurance agent quoted me for 105 considering the performance of the car. I guess the fact that it is a family sedan helps out a LOT. Gotta love that...haha. Now since we are on the discussion of insurance - I have full coverage right now, since I still haven't paid off the car. My agent said that since I had full coverage, they would replace glass at no charge due to vandalism or damage of some kind. If it were too...magically be damaged...and I filed a claim, do you think that my premium would go up? I wanted to ask my agent, but I dunno how smart he is and I didn't wanna foil my ingenius plan.

My agent said that since I had full coverage, they would replace glass at no charge due to vandalism or damage of some kind. If it were too...magically be damaged...and I filed a claim, do you think that my premium would go up? I wanted to ask my agent, but I dunno how smart he is and I didn't wanna foil my ingenius plan.

While I don't condone fraud, I don't believe my insurance went up at all when my glass was damaged and replaced. Granted, it wasn't damaged due to vandalism or anything, just a rock kicking up from a semi. I'm not sure if that matters. Wouldn't hurt to ask. If so, I might not file glass claims.

Yeah...I am not saying I would be fraudulent. Just speeding up the inevitable outcome. I already have a crack in the glass and I am almost positive that through the winter it is only going to get worse. It is on the passenger side and I think it is isn't a legality issue until it is in the driver's vision. But the windshield is crazy pitted and the dealer who I bought it from detailed it at a speed detailer. They buffed the windshield...so not only do I see millions of pits, but I also see swirls. When the glass is even slightly fogged, I see every single street light from a whole bunch of angles...haha. So, if I could just speed up the crack somehow and get it to where it will be a problem, then I could get them to replace it - hopefully for free. But if it means that my premium goes up, then I probably wouldn't do it. I guess I should just ask...you are right.

You might wanna edit-out your plans from your posts, you never know who's reading these days.

Back