• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

DIY Y-pipe optomization

Harry, all these questions and no reply???

I'm going to weld a horizontal hanger on tomorrow and hang it to the factor hanger like the Trubendz. I'll post pics too.

-Nick

Sorry....i do so much pm'img...and i work for a living ya know :laugh:

Place the Hanger before the cat!....i explained this already. I was just wondering what materials you used...because the original pipes used are SS and you welded alum to them..telling me both metals didn't bond properly resulting in a weaker weld that is going to hold the pipes together!

Sorry....i do so much pm'img...and i work for a living ya know :laugh:

Place the Hanger before the cat!....i explained this already. I was just wondering what materials you used...because the original pipes used are SS and you welded alum to them..telling me both metals didn't bond properly resulting in a weaker weld that is going to hold the pipes together!

I work for a living too, but I sit in front of a computer for most of the day and have unblocked internet access :cool:

Not sure if you've looked at the pictures, but there is no cat! Maybe you meant flex-pipe :shrug:

I will weld the hanger in-line with the factor hanger in that location. Everything should be fine. When I did a test fit I noticed there is almost no stress in the pipe and I attribute this to the extremely low weight now that the old flange and cat are gone. The entire new y-pipe weighs probably about a half or maybe less than the old cat pipe alone!!!

I'll post pics :cool:

I work for a living too, but I sit in front of a computer for most of the day and have unblocked internet access :cool:

Not sure if you've looked at the pictures, but there is no cat! Maybe you meant flex-pipe :shrug:

I will weld the hanger in-line with the factor hanger in that location. Everything should be fine. When I did a test fit I noticed there is almost no stress in the pipe and I attribute this to the extremely low weight now that the old flange and cat are gone. The entire new y-pipe weighs probably about a half or maybe less than the old cat pipe alone!!!

I'll post pics :cool:

I meant flex pipe...and it should be fine...overall. I just want to make sure that the job you did will last.

Good job though! great write up and all.:cool:

FINISHED PICS!!! After header wrap and high temp paint. No hanger yet, might not be needed due to very low weight and perfect fit/alignment.

Done1.jpg

Done2.jpg

Done3.jpg

Done4.jpg

Overall, I'm very happy with the look, sound, and performance. There was a definite change in sound after this mod. The idle sounds more agressive and at full throttle revs the sounds has a hint of gurgle/rasp but I like it! Not excessive at all.

Hope this helps some people.

-Nick

I really really like it. The visible header looks a little dinged up though.

Yeah I thought that too, but after digging through some old pictures I realized that's how they come from the factory. Here are some picture of the headers off my '99 Cougar when it had only 50K on it.

MSDS_vs_stock.jpg

frontheader.jpg

-Nick

Yes they were designed that way in mind to allow others the ease of removing the oil filter.

I'm sure it gives the oil a nice place to pool up and burn off as well. :)

Either way....they had no choice in the matter. You can see msds didn't care to work around the issue either (It would have driven up the cost). So an oil relocation kit is best for our cars.

Your ypipe looks great. How do people normally optimize their ypipe? Im looking for a way to do it using the original mount. Ive searched and havent seen any pics, i know there was a how to but i cant find it in the archives and every link in past threads are broke.

Your ypipe looks great. How do people normally optimize their ypipe? Im looking for a way to do it using the original mount. Ive searched and havent seen any pics, i know there was a how to but i cant find it in the archives and every link in past threads are broke.

First: Build a Jig that will locate the factory y-pipe flange (not the catback exhaust flange as shown here). Be sure to locate the pipes that connect to the headers.

ypipejig.jpg

Then, pull off the heat shield shown below. Now, cut the flange off as straight as possible.

ypipestock.jpg

You will want to remove the center bar inside the flange. (Need a cutting torch or saw for this)

39415d1260325548-fs-optimized-y-pipe-photo0180.jpg

Cut the pipes for to allow for fitment of a new 2" piece

ypipe1.jpg

ypipe2.jpg

Fit new piece (took a few tried and a few cuts)

ypipe3.jpg

ypipe4.jpg

Finally, fit the y-pipe to the Jig with the stock flange in place, tac and weld!

Done! Hope this helps?

-Nick

This is a How-To for solo92s10...:shrug:

Make a whole knew post of a how-to. that way people can find it when they search for it. :crazy:

Also show the items you used? Cutters, welder, other misc tools. etc etc.
Show the cost of doing this with any other information someone like you would be asking someone if this was your first attempt.

Back