• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

DIY Y-pipe optomization

Nick A.

CEG'er
Yesterday my friend and I started to optimize my y-pipe which turned into a cat bypass aswell. The finished product will be a cross between an optimized stocker and a Trubendz y-pipe (one piece that goes all the way to the catback exhaust flange.

This is basically a free mod, so I'm debating spending the $40 for a flexible couple to weld in? Is it necesarry? My only concern is that it will be putting stress on the oilpan mounting bolt.

BTW, I will be posting picks of our progress tomorrow!

-Nick

Yesterday my friend and I started to optimize my y-pipe which turned into a cat bypass aswell. The finished product will be a cross between an optimized stocker and a Trubendz y-pipe (one piece that goes all the way to the catback exhaust flange.

This is basically a free mod, so I'm debating spending the $40 for a flexible couple to weld in? Is it necesarry? My only concern is that it will be putting stress on the oilpan mounting bolt.

BTW, I will be posting picks of our progress tomorrow!

-Nick

You need a flex pipe...last thing you need is your manifolds/exhaust welds breaking apart due to the constant flex of the motor. :blackeye:

You need a flex pipe...last thing you need is your manifolds/exhaust welds breaking about due to the constant flex of the motor. :blackeye:

Harry, thanks for the advice. I'm sure you are right and this will make the Y-pipe that much more of a quality piece. Can't wait to show everyone!

-Nick

Harry, thanks for the advice. I'm sure you are right and this will make the Y-pipe that much more of a quality piece. Can't wait to show everyone!

-Nick

No problem...post pictures and keep us updated. :cool:

:confused: sooo... basically your making a CUSTOM y pipe, not optimizing it.... :blackeye:

Well it seems he is keeping the merge of the 2 pipes..leaving a small portion of a single pipe. Having that flange removed..it sound like he just wants to run a pipe straight back to bypass everything else. Which is the reason he's asking about getting a flex pipe...and not keeping that stupid donut gasket setup.

So yes..it is a merger of a optimized y-pipe/ custom y-pipe :crazy:

Here's what I did:

I was lucky enough to have 2 y pipes, so I made a jig to help retain the stock fitment

ypipejig.jpg

Started by pulling off the heat shield, ugly isn't it??!!

ypipestock.jpg

Cut the pipes for to allow for fitment of a new 2" piece

ypipe1.jpg

ypipe2.jpg

Fit new piece (took a few tried and a few cuts)

ypipe3.jpg

ypipe4.jpg

Finished product :cool: Just need to paint it and wrap the front pipe with exhaust wrap.

ypipedone-1.jpg

Hope you all enjoy!

-Nick

That flex pipe is too far back... It really should be closer to the y-pipe...

You may be fine, just my .02...

I don't feel that it makes a difference. The reason that I positioned it there was 2 fold: 1) to provide flex for the system and 2) to eliminate the need for the slight bend in that location to get the the catback flange.

Thanks,
Nick

That flex pipe is too far back... It really should be closer to the y-pipe...

You may be fine, just my .02...

I've stated many times my concern about this!!

It is too far back..and you will jeopardize the main stress points which will be your welding by adding that extra pipe! Sorry man...you should have made it closer.

But as long as your welds are strong and solid...then you will be okay....

I've stated many times my concern about this!!

It is too far back..and you will jeopardize the main stress points which will be your welding by adding that extra pipe! Sorry man...you should have made it closer.

But as long as your welds are strong and solid...then you will be okay....

Ok, well I was kind of going from scratch here. There's no How-To!

I'll keep an eye on the welds, but I think it will be fine (no point in arguing).

-Nick

Keep an eye on it, if you've got poly motor mounts it should be fine. If they're stock or worn out I worry about it.

Other than that it looks good though!

Ok, well I was kind of going from scratch here. There's no How-To!

I'll keep an eye on the welds, but I think it will be fine (no point in arguing).

-Nick

There is no detailed picture how-to. There is a written how-to on this subject though. But i do understand your position. I'm just sharing my years of building exhausts with the masses so they in turn can benefit from me. Glad you did this write up, i have added this to my exhaust write up that will be posted at the top of this section soon. So thank you for your effort and pictures!

In light of my questionable flex pipe placement, I am thinking of welding in an exhaust hanger for additional support. They are not OEM style, they are much more robust.

hangers.jpg

I'm still not clear where the additional stress is coming from due to my flex pipe location? I bolted the y-pipe up last night and everything seems very secure with no stress anywhere, the flex pipe allows movement just as it should???

If a hanger should go in, where should it go???

ypipehangers.jpg

1 doesn't seem logical because it is so close to the oilpan hanger, so if I put it there it seems I should unbolt that?

2 is closer to the flex pipe and I could push the pipe up before welding to add some pre load?

Also, the stock hanger (used by the ATX and late '00+) is right about in the middle of 1 & 2 and I could, instead, weld a horizontal hanger there like the Trubendz y-pipe?
BTW, my flex pipe is in about the same spot as the Trubendz and mine is twice as long!!??

trubendz.jpg

Advice?

-Nick

Ignoring the trubendz...i would mount it closer to the front...allowing it to pivot around that bushing supplied by the exhaust hanger. This keeps the pipping consistently moving in same pattern. So no out of the ordinary movement occurs.

Is the flex pipe an all Alum pipe with ss mesh? or is the flex pipe full SS?

The trubendz pipes are pipes inserted into themselves. Mind you creating a stronger effect without fear of breaking welds. Yhe insertion of pipe into another then welding is very very important! This increases the strength of the connection by x500.
Where your welds are holding two pipes mating. This is where the welds are most important! Because they are only being held by the weld you placed on them.

What is the pipe made out of? what weld did you use?

Welder is a Hobart Handler 210 with .030 in (0.8 mm), self-shielded, flux cored welding wire. Layed to thick beads in most places.

-Nick

Welder is a Hobart Handler 210 with .030 in (0.8 mm), self-shielded, flux cored welding wire. Layed to thick beads in most places.

-Nick

Is the flex pipe an all Alum pipe with ss mesh? or is the flex pipe full SS??

The trubendz pipes are pipes inserted into themselves. Mind you creating a stronger effect without fear of breaking welds. Yhe insertion of pipe into another then welding is very very important! This increases the strength of the connection by x500.
Where your welds are holding two pipes mating. This is where the welds are most important! Because they are only being held by the weld you placed on them.

What is the pipe made out of? what weld did you use?

Is the flex pipe an all Alum pipe with ss mesh? or is the flex pipe full SS??

Harry, all these questions and no reply???

I'm going to weld a horizontal hanger on tomorrow and hang it to the factor hanger like the Trubendz. I'll post pics too.

-Nick

Back