• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Disable Ignition Lock In Keyless Entry

zkhoja

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I am having trouble with my keyfob and would like to disable the "ignition lock" security feature. Does anyone know how to?

Last edited:
no no... i want to enter my car and start it without the remote.... my model requires me to press the unlock button on the remote for the car to start... some security feature... lately my remote has been malfunctioning...

likely use the stock keyfob, tied to an aftermarket controller.

so you're saying that a 1998 Ford Contour Sport GL did not come with keyless entry?

I'm saying that REGARDLESS of which came with it or not, NO contour/mystique came with one that required you to press unlock to start the car.

The controller is obviously non-oem, and thus a whole other "ball of wax"..

Stupid Question:

Have you tried changing your batteries, lately?

it could be an OEM add on alarm for the keyless entry, but there is also a good chance that a GL wasn't sold with keyless entry .... the Ford System 4 Alarm works with the stock keyless entry and has a starter disabling feature so if it is armed you would need to to diss-arm it and that would be with the stock remote and the unlock button ... since System 1 is a add on Ford keyless entry they could have a full keyless entry/alarm kit ...

My '95 GL had one of thoes systems. It was a Ford, dealer installed accessory.
In mine the indicator LED was pushable and disabled the engine disable function if you got it to do a double flash sequence.
I believe you had to push it once you turned the car off, before the start disable had a chance to arm, and would remain disarmed until you pressed the button again, and the LED would go back to a steady single blink sequence.

Thought I should add, If you shut off the engine disable using the method I described then it'll also shut-off the alarm as well.
Basically it just makes the remote work as lock-unlock, no alarm functions.

I installed one of those systems in my first Contour & transferred it to the Zetec. I still have the manual in the glove compartment, but the car is not here right now. The Ford system I have allows you to program various functions including an ignition cutoff. The ignition is disabled two minutes after locking the car & it cannot be started until the key fob 'unlock' button is pressed - even with the correct key!! An additional level of pats security.

This is ONLY in an emergency or if you can't find a manual (try looking up the part number on the remote lock security box in the car. It's available as a pdf ):

You should be able to trace the ignition switch wire (big red one) and see where it has been cut & spliced to the keyless entry unit. Just cut away & cap the wires going to the keyless entry box & splice the two ignition switch wire ends together again. You've now effectively bypassed the ignition disable feature & your car should start.

The keyless entry system I bought was equipped with a remote button that you could depress to initiate programming & there was also a sequence involving the button that would allow you to temporarily bypass the system & start your car. Once you shut down, the system would go back to normal operation & disable the ignition again.

Last edited:
In mine the indicator LED was pushable and disabled the engine disable function if you got it to do a double flash sequence.
I believe you had to push it once you turned the car off, before the start disable had a chance to arm, and would remain disarmed until you pressed the button again, and the LED would go back to a steady single blink sequence.

yes depending on how the alarm is set, default if the led is double blinking then the system is in valet mode ... this will prevent the alarm and starter disable from arming ... if you change the switches inside the control unit you can make the alarm self arming and then the valet mode prevents the alarm and starter lock out from working .. finally you can disable the starter interupt with an internal switch ...

Back