• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

differential problem or possibly more?

My girlfriend dad’s car had failed (noisy) diff and clutch was on it’s last legs. I'd say get a good used trans. from Junkers and call it a day. One can be had for around $150. I bought mine for $125 already pulled, tested and steam cleaned from a local junk yard with free delivery to my mechanic. It looked like new unit when it was delivered. I also opted and paid extra $50 for warranty that covers labour and parts in case they install and it dies. Best deal ever. All together I had it done for just under $850 including new clutch and 2 drive axles. 2 years later car still runs like a champ. Best experience I ever had with a junk yard part.

My girlfriend dad’s car had failed (noisy) diff and clutch was on it’s last legs. I'd say get a good used trans. from Junkers and call it a day. One can be had for around $150. I bought mine for $125 already pulled, tested and steam cleaned from a local junk yard with free delivery to my mechanic. It looked like new unit when it was delivered. I also opted and paid extra $50 for warranty that covers labour and parts in case they install and it dies. Best deal ever. All together I had it done for just under $850 including new clutch and 2 drive axles. 2 years later car still runs like a champ. Best experience I ever had with a junk yard part.

I'm actually shocked by what a great deal you got :shocked:. I was afraid to go the junk yard route myself mostly due to not knowing if the trans you were getting was going to work. Who knows, the car might be in that yard for a fault trans :rolleyes:. Though that's some deal you got there. The warranty is really a must.

Yup, I was a bit shocked as well :) It also helped that a mechanic is a family friend and very cool dude in general. I was there through the whole take out and install process. I was amazed how easy it was with the right tools and a hoist. Having all the tools you can think of available to you make a job flow. Overall it was just over 7 hours of work and that is only because one of the bolts on the front mount got stripped and we had to wait for the delivery of a new one. There are days he lets me use his garage after hours providing I clean the tools and workspace after I'm done.

BTW this is the place I got my trans from. They have an operation in NY as well, don't know how far that is from you. http://standardautowreckers.com/

Thank you so much! I'm sorry, I sent you a PM a few minutes ago and didn't realize you posted the link here. Disregard the pm :eek:. As for them being close, sadly they are 7 hours away :rolleyes:. Maybe they'll offer shipping :shrug:.

Back