• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Diff Speedo Gear...HELP!!

tsSVT

CEG'er
I am trying to do a torsen install and I have everything needed except for the speedo drive gear. I've tried Ford and BAT. I've also checked website after website to no avail. Does anyone have any idea where to find the gear?

I know that the gear normally gets destroyed when you pull the old bearings off of the factory diff. Has anyone figured out a way to get it off undamaged? I suppose you could try to cut through the bearing ,but I don't see that working out very well.

Thanks guys.

It doesn't have to be destroyed. I didn't do the work myself, but when I had a torsen installed the guy who put it in was able to reuse it.

I am trying to do a torsen install and I have everything needed except for the speedo drive gear. I've tried Ford and BAT. I've also checked website after website to no avail. Does anyone have any idea where to find the gear ?
i know a man that can still get them. I'm in the UK so if you want it ... probably won't get to you 'til the new year LMK ....G.

When i did my torsen i broke off the rollers off the main bearing. Heated it up with a torch then put a chisel on the lip of what was left and hammered it off. Then the speedo gear just pops off. It didnt take much heat or very many hits just be careful not to heat the speedo gear or whack it with the hammer

Thanks everyone for the quick responses. I guess I will go about trying to remove the bearing.

Gorman: Thank you for offering your help across the pond.

Back in the day it was easiest to just buy the replacement since you needed to order new bearings anyways. It was always reuseable but barely anyone did. With the old bearings and gear on the factory diff. you could turn around and resell it as a complete drop in part. I did that with my original one since it was flawless when it came out.

You can't get the replacement anymore. It's obsolete. That was my original plan to buy a new one and sell the factory diff as it is in very good shape, however after spending half the day trying to find one I came here to see what other have been doing to address this.

As an update I did manage to get the bearing and gear off without too much hassle. Now I just have to return the bearings I bought and hunt down the right ones. I really don't want to have to order them from BAT.

Yeah, i had the same problem. Did you try to go to autozone or somewhere? They say they have the carrier bearings but all they have is wheel bearings. Just save yourself a headache and go to the dealer

Yeah, I got them from Autozone, their interchange info is wrong which I will make them aware of when I go up there. I would go to the dealer but they are obsolete.

Btw: The part that Autozone has listed may be a wheel bearing but it is not a Contour wheel bearing.

I had no problem getting them from the dealer. Maybe your parts counter is lazy. They could be under a different part number. Ford likes to do that sometimes. Maybe try another dealer or calling one that is within driving distance? I tried autozone 3 times and none of them were correct.

im sure drivetrain.com will sell you just the diff bearings. they sell complete rebuild kits with syncros and just bearing kits as well.

Huh, someone at the parts counter being lazy, I can't believe that ;) I'll try another dealer.

Thanks striker, if the dealer doesn't pan out then I'll try them.

AHHH!!! I hate lazy counter staff!! I have to wait 2 days to get them but they are $6 a piece cheaper than BAT and I don't have to pay shipping.

For future reference, the current Ford part# is F7RZ-4221-AC

I tracked the last speedo gear in the country to Texas in Nov of 09. Unfortunately i missed it by a couple of days, someone had it tagged for use for some car in their garage.

Back