• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Did 2000 SE's come stock with 14" wheels?

tomewolfe

New CEG'er
I'm the new owner of a 2000 SE V6 with very low miles but lots of maintenance issues. The car has 14" wheels and tires, just 3 wheel covers. Is that normal for a stock SE V6 or did someone perhaps change out the wheels at some time?
I like the looks of a lot of the stock Contour 15 and 16 inch rims and plan to reward myself with some once I take care of some more pressing mechanical issues, ie: fuel pump, ball joints, struts, CV boot and at least a temporary solution to the curling-wave dash. Right now I'm trying contact cement and 3 days of wedge pressure on the dash but I'm not too hopeful that is the final solution. I may invest in a right-angle drill and try to install aluminum clamping plates over the seam between the air vent and the curling dash. Sooner or later I hope to find a pre-2K dash and swap them out since that seems to be the best solution.
Thanks for any info on the wheels, the 14"ers on it now seem extra small!

i dont know if the 14" wheels were available in 2000 or not. i know some pre98 models came with them though.

as for the dash, if you go to swap it out you will need a pre98 dash as all the 98+ dash panels are prone to warping.

as for the dash, if you go to swap it out you will need a pre98 dash as all the 98+ dash panels are prone to warping.

Not entirely true, some early 98's had the pre98 style dash, but with 98+ style cluster/radio trim bezels.

These are the ones you want to get as some of the screw holes do not line up when using pre98 dash and 98+ trim. Also the pasenger side air vent was replaced by a 98+ style Oval, so the early 98 oval vent will swap into a pre98 dash that has the er.... square-ish type vent. I have pictures of the differences if anyone is interested.;)

The pre-98 dashes look nicer...

The pre-98 dashes look nicer...

than my 2000. I gotta wonder from my car if Ford was making them as inexpensively as possible that last year with whatever parts were left.
The 98's I looked at over the weekend had fabric on the door panels vs. my all-plastic and I liked the metal cover over the defroster outlet on the dash vs. my all-plastic.
I'll start looking for some dress-up parts IF I get the mechanicals right soon enough. I'm a slow worker.

Yea i have the same problem with the dash. But my wheels are 15" i think they only came in 15-16" cause i still all the paper work from when the other owner sold me the car he had EVERY thing you could imagine in that glove box. as much as i wish that they would be 17" they just don't magically appear:crazy:. Right know i am using the most expensive (so says the internet site they have) security system in its box to hold my dash down. So at least i know that my dash is secure:crazy:. But when it comes to be winter time i might have to cut but furthest part of the dash cause my defroster sucks like a hoover.

My 99 Mystique came with 14inch steelies. And I know that they came standard on contours as well.

Back