• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

DDarn T-Belt shredded while at light-NEW belt

Ok so i went out and looked and it seems like it is a fingernail off edge of sprocket.
It looks dangerously close to the ctr cover and while running the belt seems to wobble.

And i checked the tension and it seems fine

What a question. Do you see any lip to keep them from walking? There are none except on crank. Tension alone does it, that's why it must be RIGHT, not your guess of right. It should be obvious to you by now that you cannot just tell tension right/wrong by feeling it, so quit throwing it out there. The tensioner has a range that the pointer should be in, if not it's just plain wrong. You adjust tensioner to get it in the range while bolt for it is loose, then once you are in range tighten tensioner set bolt. While setting tensioner in the range turn the engine CLOCKWISE. After that tensioner not adjustable since locked down but no need if it is in the range. Belt can wobble a little and still work. As far as belt riding on edge of pulley, someone has already answered that. Don't expect someone to guarantee you that an extra .005" or so either way is going to make you or break you. Keep second guessing or ignoring what everyone tells you here and before long you will be by yourself.

Maybe

Maybe

If the belt is not over but at the edge of the cam pulleys you are okay. If it is hitting the front cover, it won't be long before you are pushing it again. If you are reasonably certain that it is not hitting the cover, drive the car for a while with the cam belt plastic top cover off and periodically inspect the cam belt for shredding. I still have the top cover off after 50k miles because I am too lazy to go through all of the work required to put one on the vct engine.

yea i figured out what was happening.
It seems i got 2 defective tensioners, causing overtension, cause now it runs like a top.

Only problem i have is i think the ECM is saying there is a slight difference between the cam and crank sesors, and so is causing a mfg misfire code., but the car runs better than ever. I am wondering if there is a way for the computer to relearn the idling parameters besides unplugging the computer from 12v, since that hasnt worked.

Which code is it? Bet it is the P1381 or P1383 code. If it is the 1381 bet your VCT is bad. If it is the 1383 code than your timing is off.

Back