• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Datalogging tips problem

Redlineracer12

Addicted CEG'er
I'm not sure where to post this so i'll try here and if you almighty mods have a better idea (like the troubleshooting section) you can move it there. I have been having these codes ever since i had a short in my electrical system, hot wire between the battery and alternator melted to the egr tube. The wire casing was melted from the heat then the wire grounded to the tube and must've had enough heat to actually melt to the tube. I've now replaced the wire (routed better too) and the EGR tube... However i'm still getting a couple trouble codes... First i had a 401, which is insufficient egr flow. So i reset it for the time being and later that same week driving it i got a 402, which is excessive egr flow. So from what i had researched i found it should be the DPFE sensor. Tested it by how they describe in the Chilton manual, voltage didn't change at all. They are known to go bad (i still had the silver metal one) and i figure its only 50 bucks. I replaced that now and still get the 401 codes. I've gotten a few of them now... I do have an XCAL 2 and i got the idea to try datalogging today. I listed the DPFE voltage as one of my variables and i took the car out around the block a ways and that voltage never even registered. It was 0.00 the entire time with no data. What else could be the cause of this? I visually checked over all the other wiring in this area and it LOOKS ok. Now i don't know exactly how this emissions system works but if someone thinks they could describe where i should have power i could try that. Could i have had like a voltage spike that actually shorted something in my PCM? When the battery cable melted I was driving and the car actually stalled out. All the lights on the dash came on but extremely dim. After turning off the key and coasting a couple blocks It started back up. The car runs rough right now (which is kind of expected if that sensor is doing nothing). Does anyone have any ideas?

Sorry that was so brutally long lol

you fixed the egr tube and the 402 codes are gone; only getting 401 codes now; additionally no voltage on the dpfe sensor;

Sounds like the EGR valve is not opening or perhaps plugged EGR passage at the valve or the manifold.
Check the vacuum hoses going to the EGR and trace them back. Check the solenoid operated valve for power.
Also, hoses may be disconnected to dpfe.

you fixed the egr tube and the 402 codes are gone; only getting 401 codes now; additionally no voltage on the dpfe sensor;

Sounds like the EGR valve is not opening or perhaps plugged EGR passage at the valve or the manifold.
Check the vacuum hoses going to the EGR and trace them back. Check the solenoid operated valve for power.
Also, hoses may be disconnected to dpfe.

EGR valve seems to be working, i tested it by applying vacuum. The manifolds i just cleaned a couple weeks ago. The DPFE hoses are new and connected, I beleive they are hooked up correctly, the REF hose goes to the upstream? Would upstream in this case be closer to the manifold or closer to the intake? I would actually think upstream is the lower one that is closer to the exhaust since that's where upstream flow would be. I will double check the vacuum hoses going back from the EGR, What solenoid valve are you talking about? Is that the one on the backside of the UIM?

Thanks

EGR valve seems to be working, i tested it by applying vacuum. The manifolds i just cleaned a couple weeks ago. The DPFE hoses are new and connected, I beleive they are hooked up correctly, the REF hose goes to the upstream? Would upstream in this case be closer to the manifold or closer to the intake? I would actually think upstream is the lower one that is closer to the exhaust since that's where upstream flow would be. I will double check the vacuum hoses going back from the EGR, What solenoid valve are you talking about? Is that the one on the backside of the UIM?

Thanks

The hoses are two different sizes. The slight size difference will tell you which one goes where. I do think the upstream one is the one closest to the manifold though.

The solenoid is on the back of the manifold.

The hoses are two different sizes. The slight size difference will tell you which one goes where. I do think the upstream one is the one closest to the manifold though.

The solenoid is on the back of the manifold.

The hoses look fine i double checked them yesterday, Could the solenoid actually keep the DPFE from getting any signal? Because i still don't understand why the pcm is getting no sort of voltage from it.

Back