• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dash warp fix pictures?

In all these repairs that folks have done, what has worked?
I saw the thread where one fella repaired it similar to the ford fix using wire ties.
Then there is the Ford fix kit. WHich by the way is just an oversized trim piece that you pop rivit in place over top of the original trim piece.
Several others have made attempts like the wedges and gorilla glue but to no avail.
Somethings I have noted: on my 99 the vent trim had no factory clamps on it and I did not see any factory clamps around the inside of the vent. There were no spots on the vent trim where the clamps had been broken off they just were not there.

On the other 99 dash that I got there is a clamp all across the leading edge that goes against the windshield, several around the inside of the vent opening, and the trim has clamps on it. It appears that those things have helped minimize the issue of curling up, but it has done nothing for the fact that the adhesive is no good. There in lies the problem. Dash pad have been made for a long time without pealing themselves off. There are several other spots that the pad has separated from the base, line around the instrumnet cluster, the opening for the steering column and the glove box. I have been regluing those areas using spray glue (80) for vinyl & plastic, and applying heat with a gun to lay the pad back in place prior to clamping & gluing. Seems to work, but then several others have had temporary success too.

Have you who have reglued your pad used heat to remold the pad first? Applying heat also when clamped in position seems to not only make the vinyl pliable but when cool it stays in place so there is very little actual pull against the glue when done.

Lessons learned,
AF

That gorrilla glue didn't hold my dash warp down. Came right back up. That craps like an iceberg. I creeps slowly and there is nothing you can do to stop it.
Ok, I really hate to say it but that Gorilla Glue is not for plastic and / or foam, so it had to fail. Using the proper adhesives is extreamly important. Not doing that is what has caused us all these problems in the first place.

This spray glue I am using now actually etches the plastic to make it bond better. However good I think it is at this point only time will tell. I should also say again that there are many loose spots on the dash so IF you have the problem more areas may be affected that are being held in place by other components.

I have about 8 hrs into this repair not including removal (1hr 10 min) and installation time. Currently I estimate I am about 60% complete. Sometimes the hardest part is divising a clamping procedure for an area.

Regards,
AF

Last edited:
how hard is it to tak eout the dash and fix it like that? it this a 1 day thing or a couple days?

I need to say that the removal of the 99 dash was a lot easier than the 95, as there is a big difference in how the electrical is run. Also it didn't have the clamps like the 95 so I expect it will go back in easier. I think the hardest part was getting the air bag module over the pipe brace. That is after undoing that connector I missed again:rolleyes:

dash4.jpg

Kurt Vonnegut died?

Back