• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dash warp fix - peeling paint fix?

Blast47

Veteran CEG'er
So, the paint is flaking off the metal strip (which is for dash warp, yes?) on my dash.

I'm assuming this has happened to ppl here before? Any suggestions to fix this? It looks like this piece is riveted into the dash somehow? :confused:

IMG_0089.jpg

(Yes, I know my window is dirty, it just finished raining and I was parked under a tree) :nonono:

ugh, I haven't seen that before. how long has your kit been installed for? perhaps being in arizona may be a factor.

the only fix I can think of is to remove, clean, sand and repaint.

I've had the car for... 4yrs now, and its been getting progressively worse.
I just moved to AZ ~2 weeks ago, so its definitely not that.

I figured I might need to repaint it w/ hitemp paint or something, how do I remove it? It looks riveted on, not screwed o_O

the only way to remove it is to pull the dash and drill out the rivets. im assuming thats a tan dash based on the difference in color from the black fix. if so, then i would probably try to find a tan pre98 dash and just put that in instead. that way you never have to worry about it warping or paint peeling again.

I've had the car for... 4yrs now, and its been getting progressively worse.
I just moved to AZ ~2 weeks ago, so its definitely not that.

I figured I might need to repaint it w/ hitemp paint or something, how do I remove it? It looks riveted on, not screwed o_O

I strongly urge you to consider buying a custom cut sun shade especially now that you live in Arizona. I lived in Tucson for over 10 years and trust me when I say the sun will permanently make fast work of your interior (bleaching) left exposed to the sun for any appreciable amount of time. Given the dash warping issues on top of that, it only underscores the need for a custom cut sun shield.

For $40 shipped, you can get a custom sun shade that fits near perfect shielding every centimeter of your dash from the sun. No Contour owner should be without one of these, no matter how far north you live.

Buy me: Contour Custom Sun Shade

For pics and my review.....

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?45686-Custom-fit-windshield-sunshade!&highlight=

Back