• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dangerousy stupid mechanics - a Canadian Tire storyo

They whine, mostly under acceleration
If it's a rear bearing that's bad. They make the most noise when they're loaded, so they're location is going to dictate the circumstances that create the most noise. For instance, a bad front right wheel bearing will make the most noise when braking braking hard and steering left. However, the noise from that same bad bearing will be much less, and may even completely disappear, when steering right during heavy acceleration.

The noise produced is usually referred to as a whine, (as mentioned), or a roar.

Nice to see they now value your business and want you back!

Believe me -- almost anyone that goes to Canadian Tire to get something done to their cars doesn't go back. At one point in the past (late 70s, I think) they were nailed for systematically inflating repair costs as part of how the company did business.

I had one of their techs, when I went in for a free front end inspection (I like to abuse this service of theirs from time to time), say that I had a bad tie rod, but that I needed an alignment right away as well. I pointed out that with a bad tie rod, the alignment was useless.

As well, Canadian T-I-R-E (note that "tire" is one of the words in their name) routinely inflates tires to maximum pressure, as opposed to what is listed on the car. I have told them, and had it written on the work order to inflate the tires to a certain PSI, and they still went for the maximum.

Why did I keep going back? They are convenient, and their bays are huge, so it's easy to get in. I don't do this anymore, as I have found better oplaces that are just as convenient, if I'm not doing the job myself.

That said, the rest of the store is a great source for tools et all, and they have my business for that. Especially when they have deep discounts :thumbup:

As much as it costs, sometimes its almost better taking it to a stealership if you can't do it yourself. Not saying the quality of work is any better 100% of the time, but I would say you will probably have a better chance of having them paying for their mistakes.

The stealerships in my area are useless when it comes to working on anything other than trucks. I wouldn't trust them to even do an oil change correctly.

Sad fact is most people go to Canadian Tire because they're everywhere and just about the only repair place open on Sundays. Most Canadians that have a clue wont go there though, unless its an absolute emergency

Back