• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Custom MAF, Chip??

SVT_22

CEG'er
I have figured out why i have been getting a P0174 Bank 2 Too Lean, CEL lately. The story is in the winter time i get a CEL b/c i put my stock airbox and intake system back in my car and take out my K&N, which i run with no intake screen, i run the intake screen when my stock intake is in. Any ways a while ago i decided to customize my stock MAF and i have done 2 other ones. What i do is take out everyting except for the hole where the sensor goes into and that hole becomes a straight through hole. I also make the hole a little bit bigger to flow more air. So my problem is when i put the stock intake stuff in i get a CEL. My question is has anyone done this to their MAF? Also if i wanted to run my MAF like this should i get a chip? I think JET actually makes MAF for fords that look exactly like the ones i've done here is a link click on the bottom right photo http://www.jetchip.com/products.asp?pid=18772&make=25#parts
Thanks for your help

You would need a chip to compensate for the changes that modifying the maf makes. When you modify the MAF you potentially change the maf curve. As soon as that curve changes you're messing with the A/F ratio. Without knowing what the new curve of the modified MAF is and being able to tune it, the A/F ratio will be off, causing the code.

Honestly, I don't think it really buys you much to modify the MAF on our cars. It really isn't much, if any of a flow restriction.

I'm running a 3L Taurus MAF on my car, only because I got it for $10 with like 30k miles on it and my MAF wasn't reading properly even after being cleaned. I should probably look for a stock MAF but I have a chip with the curve copied into the program so its not throwing any codes or running the car much different than the stock A/F values. Obviously it won't be perfect, but its close enough that it won't do any damage.

Hacking or modifying the MAF should NEVER be done! EVER! A MAF is calibrated in its stock form and changing the flow characteristics will really screw things up since its calibration is no longer accurate.

If you want a MAF, get an OEM one.

So if using an aftermarket MAF and CAI. You should be able to corect the A/F with an SAFC, correct? Ive been wondering if I should cut the CAI pipe and use the stock MAF.
But really I think I have some kind of leak causing an error code from time to time.

The SAFC is used to correct and adjust the air/fuel ratio by changing what signal the computer gets from the MAF.

In other words, yes you could use an SAFC to adjust your AFR.

Why would you cut the CAI pipe??

I don't know how relevant it is, but Bosch uses a removable element that can fit in different housing on their mafs. Not the same style as ford where the element is a part of the housing.

I wonder what the voltage range on the bosch sensors is and if it were compatible what would need to be done to convert one? I don't necessarily think they are any better but it might give some other options.

Back