• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT v. SSR?

primalzer1998

CEG'er
Got a good friend that wants to run me at the track. I've got a stock CSVT and she has the 300HP SSR. She has taken it to the track and ran consistent 15.2's, with varying traps. Now considering what I've read this is a fairly similar time for stock CSVT's, yeah? Would it just come down to a driver's mod?

-Jon

15.2 fairly similar time for stock CSVT's, yeah? -Jon

Well jon, no its not/ 15.4-15.7 is what contour runs.

Most decent drivers in stock form svt make it to 15.4's. Really goo drivers can get it down to 15.0's flat.

Now are u a experienced driver??

what year svt do u have.

Yeah I'll probably be that 15.4-15.7 range. I'm not too experienced at all. Drive my car a lot but I don't do too much WOT shifting. Mostly do economy driving. I have a '98 CSVT, so I would assume that it would be a little slower than normal.

Another question, when shifting at WOT at the track, you want to let off the gas yes? I have a friend who shifts without letting up. I guess I wouldn't be that fast, and it would probably hurt my time rather than gaining anything.

-Jon

Slamming the gears without lifting in a stock or even midly modified SVT MIGHT gain you 2-4 HUNDRETHS (read: max, a quarter of a tenth or so.)

What it is COSTING YOU, though, is going to be MUCH more expensive. Don't waste your time. In your car, with your skills, and your mods, vs a consistent 15.2 trap; you won't win.

don't waste your time powershifting unless you've got the funds for a tranny rebuild...

what kind of trap speed was it hitting?

I have a friend who shifts without letting up. I guess I wouldn't be that fast, and it would probably hurt my time rather than gaining anything.

-Jon

Let me ask you to try this. Go to your car and rev on it while in neutral. See how fast it revs? Think now, if you were in first gear and reving to 7k and you kept ur foot down then shifted, you would hit your rev meter. Not allowing you to rev higher. SO it would be pointless.

I love new car owners that tell me they power shift lol.

Or lets say you bought a chip!!
Then first gear would still not be able to power shift. As soon as you release that clutch at 7k, the rpms will fly so fast soo high, when you finally shift you will be hitting your 6-7k rpms mark in 2nd. Again streacthing out our power band to a merely 1k rpms.

Now on race cars its different. We get what they call a clutchless transmission. Pull lever back and shift. Internal clutch. :)

By the way 1998 models were the ones running 15.6's to 15.7's

Last edited:
There is a reason to powershift on some cars. Like srt4s, it allows the boost to not drop off (which if you shift quickly, doesn't really matter). They were actually designed with power shifting being beneficial to 1/4 mile times but it is bad on the tranny.

powershifting makes a huge difference on a cobra. but they also have (and sell) supporting parts that make it more viable.

kremithefrog said:
There is a reason to powershift on some cars. Like srt4s, it allows the boost to not drop off (which if you shift quickly, doesn't really matter). They were actually designed with power shifting being beneficial to 1/4 mile times but it is bad on the tranny.
Yeah my other friend that keeps telling me to powershift drives an SRT4. But his car and mine are two completely different cars. I keep driveability and economy in mind. He's got stage 3 plus more, and gets 12 mpg around the city, and no traction in 1-3 gear. Thanks everyone, never have powershifted and now i never will!

-Jon

just be carefull in the first 2 gears. If you break your differential your gonna have a giant hole in your wallet. Just to replace a leaky seal on my tranny was over 700.

My CSVT with a K&N air filter and trubendz exhaust ran a 15.2 and I only have 2 months of total standard drive time, and 1.5 months of that was in a different car. This was my first time at the track in a standard car. You should be fine I would think.

Just don't take the risk. The car is nice and I'm sure it's been good to you so don't kill it; tranny fixes are b*tches.

But that's just my opinion, it's your car.

Cheers.

alex894 said:
Just don't take the risk. The car is nice and I'm sure it's been good to you so don't kill it; tranny fixes are b*tches.

But that's just my opinion, it's your car.

Cheers.

Yeah definitly agree. Don't have the money to rebuild a tranny. So i think i'll just keep the daily driver and what not. Thanks!

-Jon

You guys act like his tranny will grenade the first time he drops his clutch :crazy:

*knocks on wood* :laugh:

Back