• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Crank case oil separator

Daven

CEG'er
When I took mine off. The underside is jagged looking just making sure its supposed to look like that. Sorry if its a dumb question

Did you install the motor? It's a 3L right? To get the oil separator installed (when the heads are on) you have to cut off the basket (on one version of the separator anyway) so it can be jagged due to the previous person that installed it. It's fine/normal.

1349790254480.jpg

Yep, that pic looks fine. The person who built that cut the basket off the seperator, no problemo.

So taking the one off the 3L will I need to cut the basket off to get it out? Having a hell of a time lol

Your 3L will not come with that piece. It will have a plate covering the hole. You will use a 2.5L oil seperator with a cut basket on the 3L. You will need to slide the seperator between the heads BEFORE you install the modified engine mount between the heads.

Clarify what you have going on right now please.

Is this a 3L you just bought?
Is it a 3L you are removing from a contour?
What year 3L do you have?
Where did the part come from that you are showing in the picture?

Actually it doesn't matter.

We are telling you that if you are putting a 3L into your contour, then you need that oil seperator.

If there is already a seperater installed on your 3L that you just purchased, I have to wonder why.

Bought a 03 Taurus engine that has a new one on it. 18k mile engine "not new"
The part I'm showing is from the old blowed up 3L that I thought I needed to put on new engine while taking old one off.

So Can I use the one already on the engine then? or is it engine specific?

Last edited:
Use the one on the 3L motor if it has one. They didn't stop using them until 2004+ 3L's.

It is probably slightly different with a plastic connection end instead of steel but it will work fine.

Back