• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Couple questions...

zorrex

Enjoys the Abuse
So I formulated a list of what I need for suspension parts. I need springs, struts, strut mounts, and LCA's.

Here is what I planned on getting:
Moog springs all around
KYB Excel-G struts all around
Spicer strut mounts (front will re-use bearings)
Dorman LCA's (with ball joints)

I know that Moog makes good products, but how about the Dorman LCA's? I did read one post mentioning to shy away from Dorman. I'm just a tad nervous because Moog LCA's are twice as expensive :(...And should I get Monroe Sensa-trac instead of the KYB's? Just looking for some thoughts from anyone who may have purchased any of these products. Thanks in advance :)

the general idea that I have read around here is that the KYBs are not great for our platform. also stay away from the monroes as they are suppose to be worse then stock.

I think mine are also. I'm getting a clunk at low speed on my pass. side front. The mount and bearings are still original at 147k. Everything else has been replaced so it's the only thing I can think of. Have new tie rods, end links, Koni's won't make clunk not will the Eibachs. Axles have been replaced as well as wheel bearings.

All right I finagled some of the products so I get the cheapest possible, without losing quality too much quality of product.

The struts I decided on OEM from TFP, so those will be coming separate. Now I don't have to worry about the KYB and Monroe bashing that might commence.

As for the parts I'm getting from RockAuto:
Spicer rear strut mount
Spicer front strut mount w/ bearing
Moog front springs
Moog rear springs
Dorman LCA's w/ball joints + hardware

I'm still on the fence about the Dorman's, but unless i hear about a bad experience someone has had, I think I'm going with them.

EDIT: Not bad...that runs me a grand total of $662.03. EFFING 4-bolt LCA's! hah!

i have the 2 bolt dorman lcas that i put on maybe 2-3 months ago. they obviously made a difference compared to the worn out stock ones. they were so cheap from rock auto i couldnt pass them up. i think about $35 each plus shipping. even if they last me a year or two, they still bought me time til i could afford better more expensive lcas. if they last longer, even better. new front lcas, new inner outer tie rods, front rear poly swaybar bushings. car definitely feels much better now.

edit: oh and new front swaybar endlinks from BAT made a noticeable difference to me

ian how much more are lowering springs? going to all of the troulbe to repalce everything why not look into bat springs or something if it doesn't cost that much more? or do you just want stock replacments?

Can I lower on stuck struts? I thought that was frowned upon...And I DEFINITELY do NOT have money to get Koni's or anything. No way Jose.

the general idea that I have read around here is that the KYBs are not great for our platform. also stay away from the monroes as they are suppose to be worse then stock.

i have Monroes struts/springs. and i havent felt a difference....

then again, my Stock SVT struts were shot to hell and back. so :shrug:.

NOW dad says i need a drop. so im talking him into going 1/2s with me on BAT. he'll pay 300ish and i'll pay 300ish.

They wouldn't. Read sticky's.
Ok, went back and re-read. What makes the stock stuff wear out faster? My understanding of lowered suspension is that you need a shorter shock/strut to make use of the full travel of the strut vice just the bottom of the travel that a regular length strut has. With that aspect, struts such as the ones recommended for the lowering kits can't be used on a stock height suspension. Is this correct? Are the Konis, BAT, and the sort shorter than the factory struts? I'm not trying to be a dick but I am just confused on the train of thought. :shrug:

How would stock SVT struts fare with some H&R's?

it isn't advised .... however I have ST200 struts with H&Rs on my SVT. The ST200 Struts are suppose to just be stock mondeo struts. I think they have been in for around 20k and they are still fine, but the car wasn't driven alot either and when it was it was mainly highway miles.

Back