• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Couple of question on Street Modified class

mikey

CEG'er
I am thinking of running my SVT in SM class next year, and have been going over the SCCA rules...have a couple of questions....so any help would be appreciated.

Sub frame connectors:

SM class allows for them as per Street Prepared (15.2.E) which says :

1. They must only connect previously unconnected boxed frame rails
on unibody vehicles.....MAKES SENSE
2. Each SFC must attach at no more than three points on the unibody
(e.g. front, rear, and one point in between such as a seat
mount brace or rocker box brace).....I NEED A BIT OF CLARIFICATION HERE
3. SFCs must be bolted or welded, but welding must be to the OE
subframe stampings, not to the floor pan in between....WHERE AM I ALLOWED TO WELD TO????

Fuel cell:

I understand that, if I want, I can replace the gas tank with a fuel cell, and I think I can mount it in the trunk...correct?
I am thinking of putting it in the spare tire well....should be ok...Correct?
There is no description of the type of fuel cell required though. Can I use an aluminum or plastic bladderless type, or do I have to get one with a bladder.

Let me know if you need any clarification of my questions
Thanks ahead of time

Mikey

Contact Jaged; I'm pretty certain he runs his Cougar in SM. He has subframe connectors on his car, so he would know.

SM rules, while specific, tend to bend a bit, but it really depends on your region. SM is generally has a "no BS" claim when it comes to protests.

i have my subframe connectors welded in several places, not just 3. Ive never had an issue with anyone saying anything about them, and they have been on for 2-3 yrs now.

ill have to look on the fuel cell since i run the stock gas tank. it can go in the trunk. i know the SMF champ john fessler runs a 5 gallon (minimum size) tank out of a dodge, i think, that they use when moving the trucks around while they are being built. it is aluminum and it might have a bladder, im not sure though

and for the record, if you region offers it, which they should, you should run in street modified fwd (SMF) its a provisional class still, but we need more people supporting it. normal SM can be a very rough place to run

Jaged,

Excellent, .....exactly what I was looking for!
If you can find out about the fuel cell that would be great!

Thanks so much!

Mikey

Back