• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cougar trans swap/svt upgrade

The gauge is to determine where the pressure is really at. Ive been told it could be a faulty sensor so i want to make sure i know what's wrong and how to go about repairing/changing the engine, if it is a ticking time bomb. I don't want to go ahead and pull the engine if it isn't necessary

Yeah, I agree - I didn't say pull the engine, but you are running on borrowed time right now having the oil light on.

Yea thats why i wanna get that gauge hooked up asap and see what the pressure is doing. Because again, it hasnt really shown signs of knocking or burning oil. Im wondering if the oil pump may have been worn down. Theres no way to tell for sure right now, but at least knowing where the pressure sits will tell me whether or not im going to need to pull the engine or expect it to fail at some point in the near future.

My apologies for the lack of pictures everyone. Ill be doing some tonight! Ive been terribly busy with a lot of things between the car, and family stuff.

Im hooking up the gauge tonight to read the oil pressure. Crossing my fingers. If theres bad news, i may have no choice but to go the 3 liter route. I didnt want to yet, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Other than that, i have improvements to make here and there. Still have a CAI to install. also have some electrical repairs to make. I want to get her in tip top shape to autox and get out to pennsylvania for cougarfest.

Hey guys. Apologies for my lack of updates. Ive been figuring things out with the engine. Ive come to realize that the overheating accelerated blow by in my engine. I knew the concept of blow by, but upon researching the symptoms, i realized ive actually had a mild case of it for a while now, and when the engine overheated, it severely increased the problem. My crank seal is blown, and im burning oil from the valve covers if i pull the vent hose, but no oil burning in the exhaut.

I recently picked up the 2.5 from jaged that was mated to my mtx in his old car. It will hopefully be going in this weekend. Im prepping it throughout the week.

I also apoligize for the lack of pictures. Here are some that i snapped during the swap. I wish i had gotten more but there wasnt a lot of time to stop.

cid290_zps1de87cab.jpg

CAM01008_zpsbb4e5498.jpg

IMG_20140406_012750_zpse2d522ce.jpg

CAM01089_zps48a56709.jpg

CAM01100_zps27ef62bf.jpg

CAM01101_zpsc144498d.jpg

CAM01102_zpsa00e71df.jpg

CAM01107_zps11690fdd.jpg

CAM01117_zpsd4b5a2af.jpg

CAM01122_zpsf8c2b199.jpg

Well this weekend i swapped the engine. I verified i had a problrm with the old one too. Ill explain that later on.

I buttoned everything up last night and went to crank it. Nothing. Checked battery voltage, checked a few thing here and there but it was dark and i had to get up for work. There was no crank so imwonder if a ground was the issue. One thing that came to mind was the coil pac ground wire. Im thining it should go under the coil leg, so it directly touches the block. i had put it above betweenthe bolt and the coil leg. Not sure that would even matter but if anyone could let me know if thats a possibility thatd be great. I determined to figure this out tonight

If the car doesn't crank, then its usually just a ground wire issue. If it does crank but doesn't fire then most of the time the 3 bigwire harness connecors on the end oof the rear valve cover aren't making a good connection. Unclip and clip those back together and see if that works.

Well here's what happened. After an hour and a half of removing, cleaning, and retightening grounds, it still didnt start so I traced a wiring diagram to find what components came after the fuse that was blowing (fuse 41). The first component in the circuit was the ignition transformer capacitor. In other words the little thing that is bolted down with the coil pack, and serves as a voltage storage and is connected in series with the coil. So i figured why not start there.

Sure enough, i had looped the capacitors power wire under the unit, and the ground bolt pinched it, and exposed the wire. It was a direct short to ground.

Upon fixing that, the car cranked, but nothing. Its not getting spark. I switched the capacitor with one on another harness. Still nothing.

Im thinking the short via the capacitor blew out the coil pack. I pulled the spark plugs and its getting fuel, but when it cranks it just spins. I dont hear any signs of the engine attempting to fire on its own. Im gonna change the coil today and see what happens

Changed the coil, and it turned over. I let it idle for about a half hour to let it smooth out and burn the flooded fuel out, and then drove it.

I had my oil light come on everyone tried to tell me my motor was bad but it sound the same no sign of low pressure so i put a new sensor in thats by the filter to this day i have never seen the light again motor still going strong. But some how i managed to blow out my diff in the parking lot at work going 2mph ha.

Back