• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Corvette dyno...

considering a stock C5 can only pull .92 Gs, and a stock SVTC pulls .90 Gs, its not a stretch that a decently setup Contour could handle with a C5. now the C5 is obviously going to have the advantage on corner exit where it can just put the power down, but in the corner the Contour should be able to keep up

somehow i knew some ding dong was going to bring up skidpad numbers. if that's all you know about how a car handles, i won't be too worried about your opinion. ;)

somehow i knew some ding dong was going to bring up skidpad numbers. if that's all you know about how a car handles, i won't be too worried about your opinion. ;)
what other numbers would like?

slalom?
SVTC: 67.7MPH
C5: 66.4

60-0 braking:
SVTC: 129 ft (but with the SVTF brakes i bet its down around 120)
C5: 114.6 ft

turning diamter:
SVTC: 40ft
C5: 40ft

steering ratio:
SVTC: 14.54
C5: 16.1

curb weight:
SVTC: 3065lbs
C5: 3214lbs

weight distribution:
SVTC: 63/37
C5: 50/50

how about the fact that i have friend who regularly beat not 1 but 3 different C5s in auto-x in his virtually stock (nothing but a larger rear bar) zx2. or the several members here who have beaten C5s in their Contours in auto-x.

I have a friend who would waste vettes in autox events at the local corvette club. granted his dad and older brother would smoke him in the stock C4 and C5 vettes. Driver has a ton too do with it. But when he went to tracks that where more wide open or actual race tracks he got hosed. This is an apples to oranges argument folks.

yeah, i'm not talking about auto-x... which is road racing gone retarded.

don't get me wrong... csvt is an amazing handling car. but on a road course vs. a C5.... come on. vehicle handling and racing are about far more than stats put together by magazines.

WOW. Some folks need to get off the contour high horse. It is a small four door that looked nice, and was fun to drive.

Trying to say it will outhandle a Corvette is just nuts. The contour community is starting to sound like some of the Honda community. Next people are going to be talking about their secondaries opening up the same way ricers talk about VTEC.

if guys honestly believe that a modified contour couldnt hang with a C5 in the corners, your nuts. on the straights is a completely different story though.

if guys honestly believe that a modified contour couldnt hang with a C5 in the corners, your nuts. on the straights is a completely different story though.

Ok, so what about a Corvette with the same mods? :rolleyes:

The Contour IS NOT the ultimate handling/speed/anything maching. I was a nice balanced performer, but isn't the end all, be all.

Ok, so what about a Corvette with the same mods? :rolleyes:

The Contour IS NOT the ultimate handling/speed/anything maching. I was a nice balanced performer, but isn't the end all, be all.
seeing as he was talking about the worst handling C5, that would be stock (or someone who really :censored::censored::censored::censored:ed up their suspension and actually made it handle worse than stock). so im not going into that comparison (since even a stock C5 Z06 will rape a modified Contour in the corners)

as for the Contour being the ultimate "whatever" machine, i never said it was. there are many cars that are drastically better than even a modified Contour right out of the box (that i would gladly take). i simply stated that a modified Contour should be more than capable of hanging with a stock C5 in the corners. how hard is it for you guys to understand that?

and FWIW, as im sure at least one person has thought about it, just because i live in Kentucky does not mean i am a hillbilly, inbred, redneck with no teeth that doesnt wear shoes and has no clue what im talking about. Just ask anybody that has met me. :laugh::laugh:

WOW. Some folks need to get off the contour high horse. It is a small four door that looked nice, and was fun to drive.

You do realize that you are on a contour forum right? Its funny how trolls that have moved up to faster and more expensive cars are suddenly better then current owners...

You do realize that you are on a contour forum right? Its funny how trolls that have moved up to faster and more expensive cars are suddenly better then current owners...

I'm a current owner and my stock troll blows the doors off of my 210 WHP 3L CSVT in all ways. :shrug: Some of us just came to our senses and don't drink the Contour Kool-Aid anymore.

I'm a current owner and my stock troll blows the doors off of my 210 WHP 3L CSVT in all ways. :shrug: Some of us just came to our senses and don't drink the Contour Kool-Aid anymore.

Congrats, i also have another vehicle that is on order of magnitudes faster then probably 99% of the cars on this board. I'm just saying you are on a contour board and the smug attitude about what you have is funny.

I never said I was better. I am a car enthusiast, and love many different cars that are good at many different things. Sure my current car would blow the doors off of my former modified SVT, but that doesn't make it better. I love both cars for different reasons.

I am still a troll because this forums has soom cool folks on it, other car enthusiast that I can go to meets with and plan vacations with. Unlike other car forums, contour.org is a place where I can do more than seek technical help.

Congrats, i also have another vehicle that is on order of magnitudes faster then probably 99% of the cars on this board. I'm just saying you are on a contour board and the smug attitude about what you have is funny.

Smug is believing that contours are better than corvettes. The contour was a low end ford small four door that SVT turned into something fun to drive. The corvette is a dedicated sports car built for the track. Be honest and love the contour for what it is, and not what you want it to be. Understanding this makes you a car enthusiast. Continuing to believe that the contour is faster/better than (insert any other car) sounds more like a ricer thing to me.

I think we all realize what board we're on. The OP of this thread just wanted to show what he'd been up with the car he replaced his contour with, and what kind of power it made. That's all fine and dandy and we all can get along but in the very next post we get...

Ive been in a contour that made more power than that though..

And herein lies what the rucus is about. So what if someone rode in a Contour that made more power than a Corvette... was there any need to say that in particular? Why not say "wow nice numbers... congrats!" It all just went downhill after that.

Comparing a Contour to a Corvette is apples to oranges. The Contour is a four door sports sedan built to bring "European handling" to the states. The Corvette is a purpose built machine that only appeals to a certain type of people. They both have their pros and cons and should be appreciated for what they both are, not what you think it's "better" than.

O'rly? I don't think TX00SVT (or whatever his S/N might be :laugh:) was smug or having a "better than" attitude. Perhaps you just took it the wrong way.

I'm curious if your other vehicle that is "magnitudes faster than probably 99% of the cars on this board" has a torque curve such as this:

Brandon_Shannon_Overlay.JPG

The dark red and dark blue lines are from my car... that's on straight 93 octane with no additives BTW ;)

Smug is believing that contours are better than corvettes. The contour was a low end ford small four door that SVT turned into something fun to drive. The corvette is a dedicated sports car built for the track. Be honest and love the contour for what it is, and not what you want it to be. Understanding this makes you a car enthusiast. Continuing to believe that the contour is faster/better than (insert any other car) sounds more like a ricer thing to me.

Amen Randy... nice 'Vette that you have there and looks like it makes some nice power for a N/A motor :cool:

Shannon

Did you read any of my posts?

I said that is a nice, very good torque curve more than once.

I was just making a statement, some people took it the wrong way. If people actually believe that all Contours can outhandle a Corvette, then that is there problem. I was saying that I would think with all the suspension upgrades out there, that somebody here would be able to handle better than his Corvette.

I am not an idiot, I know where the Contour stands in respect to performance cars. I dont claim that my car or my dads car is faster or handles better or does anything, well except carry people, better than cars dedicated for performance.

My Dad has an 1100 horsepower dragster that will run 7.30's, whenever I feel that I need to experience speed and exceleration I can just drive that.

How do you make almost 200 ft.lbs more of torque @ 2700 rpms, and gain 70 HP? Is that from just a tune?

Did you read any of my posts?

I said that is a nice, very good torque curve more than once.

Yes I did... I didn't mean to single you out here... I just felt as if your post got things going down that path more or less. I'd say people did perhaps read it the wrong way (some of them anyways) and it went downhill from there. Sorry if I'm "picking" on you... didn't mean to come off that way ;)

I was just making a statement, some people took it the wrong way. If people actually believe that all Contours can outhandle a Corvette, then that is there problem. I was saying that I would think with all the suspension upgrades out there, that somebody here would be able to handle better than his Corvette.

That's very true... but I will say a lot of that has to do with the "driver mod." You can have all the handling upgrades in the world to either car and with a piss-poor driver the car's performance will show it. I'd say you could get a Contour to hang with a Corvette so to speak but the Contour for sure will need a huffer to make the power it would need to keep up in the straights :eek:

My Dad has an 1100 horsepower dragster that will run 7.30's, whenever I feel that I need to experience speed and exceleration I can just drive that.

Yeah... but can he drive it on the street as his daily driver :laugh:

How do you make almost 200 ft.lbs more of torque @ 2700 rpms, and gain 70 HP? Is that from just a tune?

That is my dyno graph overlaid with another guy's graph with a similar set-up. He has a 2.3L Whipple, I have a 3.4L and in those graphs both cars are pullied for the same amount of boost. His car's pull was started a bit sooner than mine, which is why there's a dramatic difference in torque at the beginning of the pull. His 2.3L made more torque on the hit but my car passed his shortly afterwards and carried it all the way through. I don't think it drops below 540 ft/lbs for the entire pull. At peak power I made almost 40 more RWHP than his car did, only differences are blower sizes and I have headers and he doesn't. Both cars are tuned by the same tuner.

Sorry again if I ruffled your feathers :cool:

Shannon

bhiggs89 said:
I was saying that I would think with all the suspension upgrades out there, that somebody here would be able to handle better than his Corvette.

this is exactly what i was trying to get at. im not sure why it is so hard for some people to understand.

I was saying that I would think with all the suspension upgrades out there, that somebody here would be able to handle better than his Corvette.
I'm not on the stock suspension either. ;)

Like I said, it'd be pretty hard for a Contour to outturn this thing. If you want to go by skidpad numbers mine should be pretty much spot on with a C5 Z06. It weighs in around 3100lbs also, just to correct those figures posted before.

I'm not on the stock suspension either. ;)

Like I said, it'd be pretty hard for a Contour to outturn this thing. If you want to go by skidpad numbers mine should be pretty much spot on with a C5 Z06. It weighs in around 3100lbs also, just to correct those figures posted before.

Well that pretty much ends this discusion.:cool:

Back