• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Coolant Smoke and AutoCross

KennyT772

Veteran CEG'er
Today was the start of the LSR SCCA season. First run in my car felt great, little loose due to some gravel on course. Second run on the other hand, started pouring coolant out the bottom of the radiator at the first corner.

It looks like the radiator is toast, the aluminum cross support is broken, and the drivers side lower mount is very very loose. Other than the radiator, should anything else be replaced while I have things apart?

Another question, should I upgrade to a SVT radiator and dual fans while I'm at it? I could probably pick up a used SVT radiator for the same cost as a Zetec one.

it couldn't hurt. and if you can get it for close to the same price, i'd go for it. also i think napa hoses would do fine.

Another question, should I upgrade to a SVT radiator and dual fans while I'm at it? I could probably pick up a used SVT radiator for the same cost as a Zetec one.

Yeah I would.....just know used is all your gonna find in an svt radiator.

Update

Update

Turns out the radiator doesn't leak, at least not with just filling it back up. I do have a hose with a hole in it coming from the bottom of the thermostat housing going to a hard line that crosses in front of the exhaust manifold. I believe this is the coolant bypass hose. Someone chime in to correct/confirm. I'm going to try and find the tube locally but I may have to buy it through Ford or online.

my old sables radiator wouldn't leak until the engine was operating temps. the plastic side tank had a small crack in it and would get bigger when the coolant heated up.

To conclude the thread, I ended up stopping by a local JY who happened to have a zetec tour sitting right out front. Got the hose for a couple bucks and problem solved.

Back