• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

conversion weight vs. power gain questions

SVT's official weight bias and curb weight figures

SVT's official weight bias and curb weight figures

Just found the published figures, straight from SVT in September 1999: 63% front, 37% rear! The 70/30 figure was correct! Absolutely amazing... Weight is 3,126 lbs.
I just found some more official looking numbers that say Curb Weight 3075 and bias is 64/36.

63/37 isn't quite the same as 70/30. It sounds more correct. The 70/30 number did surprise me quite a bit when I got it, but I guess with a 200 lb driver and junk in the front passenger seat like I had, it might be reasonable.

I have a 3L and a 2.5L. I will try to weight them this weekend and post what I find. I will do with and without heads. I have the heads off, so I will just set them on.

In regards to the weight distribution. In a front wheel drive car you want more weight in the front. You want the weight over the drive wheels, most of the time. If you have too much in the back then the back has more tendency to come around instead of following. I am not an expert on weight distribution, but I do not think you would want to go closer then 60/40.

In a rear wheel drive car you want to have a distribution closer to 50/50. If you go too much over that in the rear then you can get the long time Porsche handling issue of the back coming around in corners.

Back