• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Contour vs. Fusion?

Thats one of the things that turned me off from buying an Avenger years ago...

They offered the v6 only in Auto and the I4 in manual. I wanted the best of both worlds, and since that wasn't an opton, I took the pass.

I remember the avenger. I use to think those cars were so hawt back in they day.

Back on topic its to hard to compare these two cars from two different years. Simply because of the technology offered now and then.

I bought a fusion SEL v6 last year and have friends with svt contours. I have a contour as well and I'll say the fusion is a different kind of beast. the power/weight ratio is better on the stock sel v6 but then the 99 svt has better handling a lot less body roll and more feedback from the road then the fusion. I noticed that the fusion was kind of dead with the road and yes it can handle very well it doesn't seem like you can tell what the car is doing because of the lack of feedback. I actually enjoy driving the contour more than the fusion. I'll tell you that when me and my friend george went to dragway 42 in west salem ohio the fusion manhandled his stock 99 svt tour. I haven't had the chance to take it out on a road course or anything like that to see what kind of lap times she gets but I'm sure it'll hold it's own. the build quality is a lot better to, well at least from my 97 to this 06 i'm not sure about the late model tours (haven't cracked one open yet.)

Thanks. Thats exactly what I was interested in finding out.

I wonder how much of the feedback issue with the Fusion is based on the tires? The SVT Contour came with some really aggressive tires, for a production car, and most people either replace them with the same or better, but I doubt the Fusion has anything special.

SBRP255/60VR17 All-Season Michelin(R) pilot HX Tires are what the SEL V6 comes with on 17in alloy rims. They're pritty grippy and aggressive if you ask me. haven't had any loss of traction yet but the cars feedback is so dead that I don't feel confident in exploring it's handling limits. but the more I drive it the more comfortable I'll probably get, making me more comfortable in seeing how aggressive I can take it on the track in the turns.:laugh:

jamesmason
97 2L Contour
01 6.8L F250
06 3L Fusion SEL

Last edited:
What I'm really interested in is if you can take the MTX 75 from the v6 tour (possibly 2000) and pull the 6 speed auto out and change it to the MTX 75 you'd probably have to get the linkage from an I4 fusion with a manual and use it with the V6 setup do to the differences in spacing w/ the tour and the fusion but that would make the fusion a lot more fun. at least that's what i think.:drool:

jamesmason
97 2L contour
01 6.8L F250
06 3L Fusion SEL

my mom just picked up an '07 Fusion with the 2.3L and i gotta say...that 4cyl. does its job, it moves for what it is and i love the interior, but i agree with the prelude tail lights, but overall i like the car a lot and it would be an excellent 4 door SVT canidate

The sign and drive $0 down lease at $249 is pretty smoking on that car - I might check one out.

Something about the Lincoln styling doesn't quite ring my bell. I certainly don't like the rear end treatments they gave it. Not well thought out IMHO.

Reliabiltity enjoyment quotent and Oh wooo is me!!!

Reliabiltity enjoyment quotent and Oh wooo is me!!!

What happened to "Oh based on the Mazda 6 chassis it's will be awesome drivers car?" From all those Fusion owners that have or had Contours seem to be saying "no where close to a drivers car."
The motor should feel fast for the amount of fuel it will burn. The Coniques are much better trade-off, unfortunately the marketing folks have convinced the American public getting to that open space in the other lane half mil-second quick will impress others!
I'm still working on finding real world everyday driving MPG figures from Fusion owners. From the few I've talked to--NOT that happy. Over all high teens trying drive carefully???
How we ended up in a horse race again at a worst time in history, nothing more than greed. Friend dug up 2006 govt report on US overall fuel mpg report, MPG is worst now than 20 years ago.
The more dollars you waste now the less will get saved for retirement and you know how iffy that is between the govt and business. Thank-you Global economy!!!
One thing for sure if anyone remembers the history of members CEG Ford & Visteon engineers sharing info and bring us up to speed on problems (bean counter costing). That's long gone history. That's rates near the top of the enjoyment factor of this chassis. Anyone tried to make copies to Fords DVD covers everything manual????
What about the spun bearings problem on the new engines? Did Ford stick with Power metal/sintered con rods? Another 100,000 mile motor and ATX? Wonder if Mazda 2.3 vs their ole 2.2 quality??
Oh can't forget the substandard wiring harness insulation that wasn't fully corrected? Doesn't Ford finances make you wonder what corners they cut??
Don't mean to sound so negative but the amount of drain on the back pocket I don't see much out there worth my attention.

Ok I do like the Fusion's rear suspension design easy to tinker but the struts still up front, nice geometry design though.

Ok I do like the Fusion's rear suspension design easy to tinker but the struts still up front, nice geometry design though.

That part I understand - sorta. But WTF was all that rant about?? Did you have some kind of point to make ???

nevermind. Don't tell me, I don't wanna hear it...

I guess my original question was this: For a family guy who really enjoys driving - who likes a car that handles like it's on rails and who likes the manual shifting thing - is the Fusion really an improvement over a CSVT (or Contour SE Sport 5 Speed for that matter)?

Is the Fusion the long hoped for successor to the Contour.

I guess my original question was this: For a family guy who really enjoys driving - who likes a car that handles like it's on rails and who likes the manual shifting thing - is the Fusion really an improvement over a CSVT (or Contour SE Sport 5 Speed for that matter)?

Is the Fusion the long hoped for successor to the Contour.
If that is a prerequisite for you, then the answer is no. The 4 cyl. simply doesn't have enough 'oomph' to move the car in a spirited manner, so the MTX is out since you'd need/want the V6. It really seems the spiritual successor to the Contour is the Mazda 6: V6, MTX, fun to drive, affordable, good looking.

I don't think the contour is better than the Fusion, I just think that they are 2 different to compare. If one could drive their fusion as much as they've had the chance to familiarize theirself with a contour I'm sure the Fusion would perform the same as if not better than the contour trim level to trim level and stock to stock setup. now the contour has a plethora of aftermarket parts to choose from compared to the Fusion but as time goes along the fusion should get more and the balance will definitely tilt toward the fusion. There is a big difference in the design structure of both, for instance the contour and it's platform were designed by part computer, part by hand andthe overall structure by clay model. the fusion on the other hand was the first all computer design sedan ford has ever built. with stress simulation and 3d dinamic composition the fusion has the ability to hold up better to the test of time and the structural flex from cornering and accel/deccel being minimal will definitely prove to be a one up on the tour. but like I said the SVT contour was built to corner and go while the fusion is more of an all around car. if you were to put these 2 cars together (both brand new) and put them in a comparison the fusion would win.

reading more in depth to F111D F comments, did these people drill holes in their gas tanks.:confused: Because I have a 06 V6 Fusion SEL w/ 17.5 gallon fuel capacity. I never let my tank get below a 1/4. equating to about 13.5 gallons consumed from capacity (+/- a gallon). normally, which I do keep track of this, I get about 400 miles between fillups. Do the math and I'm getting about 29 miles to the gallon and yes I do drive aggressively because where I'm now located in cali if I don't I'll get ran over. that's about the same average my I4 Contour gets in it's stock form. I'd say my fusion is far from a gas guzzler and that those numbers are actually good for a V6 3L (it fits in with the same averages my friend shane has observed in his 05 v6 camry.)

I really have a hard time believing that the 4 cylinder 160 HP Fusion would be faster than an SVT. And considering that the fastest Fusion that comes with a stick, thats the only Fusion comparison that I'm really intersted in.

Acording to EPA figures, the 6 cylinder Fusion averages 25MPG (21 City and 29 Highway). This means that the average driver driving in real-world conditions should expect to average about 22 MPG.

Last edited:
Oh, miscom. I've been talking about the SEL V6. Well I can say that the contour v6 SE had if my memory serves me correct 170hp while the I4 has 135 at engine. so depending on what the I4 fusions torque curve is that isn't that big of a differnece. to the SVT tour though it is substantial. sorry about the confusion. have a good one

Back