• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

confused

Static

CEG'er
I have been doing some searching on here and the old forums and I havent really made sense of some of this stuff. I have been off the boards for a year or two as I sold the car and now have it back so here goes.

what is a PRP?

what does it do?

Will a diablo/ super chip allow me to remove the rear O2's, egr, and use 24lbs injectors on my 3L?

PRP = Pro Racer Package (from SCT)

It is the X-Cal2 with the full software needed to tune your specific PCM code. (comes with a datalogger as well IIRC) It is ~$650-700.

Just an X-Cal2 is ~$350-400. However it comes with a preset (typically generic!) tune so you are at the mercy of wherever you get it from. It allows for a few minor changes but nothing major.

Just to add a little bit from what Demon said...The xcal2 does come with a tune but as he said it is pretty generic. The xcal2 allows for minor changes in your program.

With the PRP, it opens up every aspect of the program. You can adjust everything and anything and turn on/off everything and anything. It is def. a must have for anyone doing custom tuning to their own vehicle.

Can you do any of this with a Predator tuner? Is the PRP just a handheld/real time? or is it like a Predator where you have to load a tune off a computer.

will just the xcal with out the prp let me turn off the egr, rear 02's remove speed limiter and run 24lbs injectors
Technically, No. It will not let "you" make those changes. (unsure about the speed limiter)

Yes it can change them. You would need to ask for those changes to be preprogrammed into your base tune.

Hey thanks for your help demon

that is what I was thinking.

so if I call brent and tell him I have a

3l
24lb injectors
stock maf
3l throttle body
headers y-pipe and catback
and would like the
rear 02's
EGR
speed limiter
rev limiter
and so on and so forth he can write me a base tune with that stuff and thats included in the $379 for buying the x-cal is that correct?

Hey thanks for your help demon

that is what I was thinking.

so if I call brent and tell him I have a

3l
24lb injectors
stock maf
3l throttle body
headers y-pipe and catback
and would like the
rear 02's
EGR
speed limiter
rev limiter
and so on and so forth he can write me a base tune with that stuff and thats included in the $379 for buying the x-cal is that correct?

I don't know what he will sell you the device for WITH A tune, but go for it.
If you strike out you can always come to me for a detailed contour tune. :idea: I do them quite well, or I will keep trying until I get it right.

On another note, you can load tunes into your xcal2 with a program called ExtremeTune from the SCT website and it allows you to change things like timing(limited), idle, fan speeds, speed limiter, rev limit.
It isn't anything near what the Pro Racer Package is, but it IS the next most powerfull tool that you can have at home.
The only drawback is you have to a have a pretty decent tune sent to you in extreme tune format initially before you go around changing stuff.

Make no mistake, you really need an experienced tuner to send you your first tune otherwise you will be hating life. Brenspeed does a good job of giving you an initial tune.
Very few others will actually tune the contour/cougar correctly.:blackeye:

Again, if you run out of options you can pm me if you want to retain my services. :cool:

just got off the phone with brenspeed after countless calls going to voicemail and they confirmed that for $379 they will pretty much do anything you ask to the tuning program as long as it doesnt deal with nitrous or FI.

just got off the phone with brenspeed after countless calls going to voicemail and they confirmed that for $379 they will pretty much do anything you ask to the tuning program as long as it doesnt deal with nitrous or FI.

I believe Brent(owner) is still the only person who answers the phone there. A lot of the time he's out in his shop, but is good about getting back to voicemails. With your tune, you'll want to be as specific as you can with what you need with your 3L setup. Do you need your IMRC turned off? Do you have a dyno graph that you can email/fax him for reference? That will make a big difference, as he'll have somewhere to start.

Mark

Back