• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Confirm My HID and Headlight Decision

Strange

CEG'er
Ok, so most of my driving life I've had old cars. I never really considered HID's or anything of the like because it just doesn't look right on old cars.

So, now I have a '00 Contour with headlights that are in dire need of replacing. I figure while I'm at replacing the headlights, I'll convert this sucker to HID's. I did a lot of reading here on the forum, and I think I have all the right pieces, but because I've never done this before, I thought I'd run it by the experts first.

I'm talking about getting these for the low beams and foglights:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

I'm going with the 35w kit for both the low beams and the fogs. 9006 is the correct bulb type for the low beam headlights, correct? Also, I'm getting the 880/881/898/899 for the foglights, as I heard it's a direct fit. Is this correct?

What I'd really like to know is, for the guys who use this product, where did you mount the ballasts?

Thanks guys/gals, and I apologize for the noob question.

I mounted one ballast in front of the coolant reservoir, and the other on top of the fuse box.

Thank for the response. I'm more worried about where to mount the ballasts for the foglights, but I haven't really taken the time to get under there and see what I can do.

I need some help, guys. I got my HID kits in today.

I'm trying to get the 9006 low-beam style up and running. The kit seems very simple, there's only one way everything can be plugged in, so I know that's not the problem. I have both sides completely plugged in. The only things not done are the ballasts are not mounted, and the headlights are not screwed down yet.

I have no low beam lights at all when I turn on my lights. All the other lights work. What is going on here?

i'm thinking of getting 35w from them and wanted to see how bright they are first. can you post some pics?

I'll try to get some pics up for you. I'm not sure how well you'll be able to tell or compare from my pics though. I went 35w because I wanted the fogs and the headlights to match. I probably wouldn't go 55w, as the 35w is more than bright enough (some cars still flash me), and the 55w washes out a lot of the color.

45Degree.jpg

UpClose.jpg

FrontOn.jpg

Behind.jpg

InCar.jpg

FieldView.jpg

The only thing I'll say is, sorry for the crappy cell phone pics, and that the lights glare in some of the pictures, but that is not how the lights appear to the naked eye.

I just installed my low beams a few nights ago and finally got them adjusted so I don't get flashed every time I pass another vehicle. These babies are BRIGHT!!! My high beams are essentially useless - they really don't add anything at all to the lighting. I am going to look into fogs and high beams, too. I like them very much.

Back