• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cold Air Induction

CSVT_2004

Hard-core CEG'er
Okay, I've been looking around and i'm not really finding what I want, hopeing someone on here will be able to lend me a hand finding what I need.

Here's my situation, I want to add a cold air intake with a bypass filter to prevent water from getting into the intake. I want hard pipeing from the UIM down to the inner fender. So far, all I've found are filter adapters and new filters, that adapt to the MAF and keep that rubber hose there to the UIM. I know I saw a guy with a pic on here somewhere that had cut a hole by the battery to put his intake down in the fender. I can't find the kits anywhere, so far I've browsed around BAT, SP Motorsports, CTA Motorsports, and Custom Cougarz. Not really turning up the results I want. So if anyone has some links or pics and details on where they got their kits, I'd really appreciate it.

GMK over on NECO makes them I believe. I think Custom Cougars was the company that made one similar to his? I could be wrong.... But I do know that it's big on the Cougar sites.

Mark

1) Did you see the thread in this Duratec performance forum on "My cold air intake setup" posted by Goonz? It's recent. (You could have sent him a PM to ask your Qs but you've already been directed to GMK at NECO.)

2) Have you followed the heatshield posts in the group buy forum? While what you are describing is not the exact same thing, the target is the same: pulling cool air from your fender and not hot air from under your hood. And you don't have to worry about water. And it may be more cost-effective. OK, some people think curvy pipes are impressive even if they cost more.

3) Learn to search the current forums and the old forums. All this information is findable once you get the right habits.

Last edited:
My dealings with GMK were not good at all and I would not be able to recommend you to buy from him. It took him close to 4 months to send me my intake, which when it arrived at my mothers house (sent it to wrong address) had bent pipes and was had the wrong color filter (which had been bent up) and couplers. He paid for some of the return shipping. After just over another month I got the second intake with pipes dented even worse (due to him packaging it in a box which was way too small for the intake pipes) still the wrong color filter but right color couplers. Since I had to wait so long for the intake I was already back at school and both times he sent it to the wrong address after I had told him more then once to send it to my house at school. I have had the intake on now for about 6 months and since the pipes don’t line up at all I have to check it weekly to make sure everything is still connected. If I were you I would install the tried and true set up with a good heat shield you will be much happier. I have included a picture of the final install if you would like other detailed pictures or how the kit did not fit and such please pm me.

There is always the Weapon-R setup. It's quite easy to cut in the bypass. Then again you can always buy one of the cheapo hard-pipes off of e-bay for our cars. They run like 30-40 bucks. (I'm talking about the kits that have the accordian replacement pipe.) Then just buy your own piping and bends to make it your "own" kit. Put the bypass valve anywhere before the MAF as long as it's not too low to the ground.

Back