• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch Replacement Experience

Exactly bagged, I sit in their lot after business hours. You can't get better security than that. The business is in my beat to so I make a few extra passes through the lot. They did do me right. I reseaarched the LUK clutch, and they have been in business for 40+ years.

Rod

Just to answer your concern....luk is the original OEM clutch maker. It is probably an OEM clutch they are putting in. :laugh:

Cool, yeah, I saw it today and it looks alot like a stock one. It went under the knife today. It's been a bad week. I bought a $200k house 2 weeks ago. The sump pump died at the new house on monday..$135.00 I put renters in my old house that did not sell after 10 months on the market. The main sewer drain has broken/collapsed. I get a call from the Roto Rooter estimator today...$2,000. And the clutch went Monday as well. And I get to make my first $1,700 payment in January!!!! When it rains it pours!

Rod

Cool, yeah, I saw it today and it looks alot like a stock one. It went under the knife today. It's been a bad week. I bought a $200k house 2 weeks ago. The sump pump died at the new house on monday..$135.00 I put renters in my old house that did not sell after 10 months on the market. The main sewer drain has broken/collapsed. I get a call from the Roto Rooter estimator today...$2,000. And the clutch went Monday as well. And I get to make my first $1,700 payment in January!!!! When it rains it pours!

Rod

I always get a 1 year home warrenty thrown in for my clients because of stuff like that. Who did you go through when you bought your house 2 weeks ago?

Reebs, I got a home warranty at closing. The sump pump was $130.00 to replace so way less than the $500 deductible. The sewer problem is at my former residence. That house did not sell and I now have renters in it. I saw the old clutch today. I had a 25 year old cousin come in from CA for Thanksgiving. He used to live here, so I loaned him my car to go see some of his friends about 40 miles away. I told him to stay overnite if he was going to drink, and he did. What I didn't know is he drove my beolved SVT like a rented mule! My pressure plate looks like someone did burnouts on the plate itself. It has cracks in the outside edge and has tons of hot score marks all over it from what me and the tech can guess are numerous full rev dumps. I have pics on my phone, pm me with a cell number and I'll send them to you. The bad thing is with the holiday I never drove it until it was time to go to work on Monday and here we are. I called him today in California and he denies driving it "that hard". I don't think he'll be coming back to Ohio anytime soon, as he knows I'm pissed.

Rod

No matter what your mechanic says, you can't tell if he abused the piss out of it or not with 100% certainity. The pp could easily be burned from awhile ago and it doesn't even take full dumping of the clutch to burn the pp. Oh well, hope you had a good yelling at your relative anyways. lol. :laugh:

It should be done today. Also Reebs, they said they think the driver's side shaft is "frozen" and won't come out. They think the splines have jumped/fused/broken and that's why it won't come loose. Not sure..I've owned this thing since like 35,000 miles. I've been on this site since before I had a tour, so I was afraid of granading a differential before I drove a tour. Do you think he could have done this much daamge in a night??? Hopefully I drive my baby home from work tonite.

Rod

The driver side is more difficult but with a CV puller or a good prybar it should come out. Even moderately used PP's have heat checking. I'd have to see pics to tell if it was abused. Sounds like it was though.

It should be done today. Also Reebs, they said they think the driver's side shaft is "frozen" and won't come out. They think the splines have jumped/fused/broken and that's why it won't come loose. Not sure..I've owned this thing since like 35,000 miles. I've been on this site since before I had a tour, so I was afraid of granading a differential before I drove a tour. Do you think he could have done this much daamge in a night??? Hopefully I drive my baby home from work tonite.

Rod

Like todd said, it can be difficult to get axles out of the trans. Alot of places just try to pry on it... I recommend using the tool todd mentioned, it made it so much easier.. just pops out.
THIS tool here

I had a Ford tech tell me he hated that tool... After using it I would not attempt to use anything else. It pulled an axle that I used an impact hammer on that did NOT budge.

Well, I've got that tool and i can't get the driver's side to come out even with the tool...i tried repeatedly sliding the weight as hard as i could and nothing, it won't budge...

It's an MTX with 170K on it...i may have to take the CV apart and just leave the darn thing in there. Just hope i can find a new metal clamp that goes on the boot...

is this common ?

Well, I've got that tool and i can't get the driver's side to come out even with the tool...i tried repeatedly sliding the weight as hard as i could and nothing, it won't budge...

It's an MTX with 170K on it...i may have to take the CV apart and just leave the darn thing in there. Just hope i can find a new metal clamp that goes on the boot...

is this common ?

It should not be that difficult. I just did this on a 170k SVT and the drivers side can be a pain, but it came out fairly easy. It helps if you have 2 people to fight with it. Maybe even a 3rd person to try tapping it out through the diff at the same time. You have to watch out for the connecting rod though and get something thin enough like a good long flathead screwdriver to get on either side of it when going through the diff.

Ha! You didn't touch that half shaft! Grant and I got it out. (I think his name was Grant :shrug: . damn good mechanic whatever his name was)
I held a large pry bar to the top side of the half shaft. I layed on my back and used my foot to apply as much pressure as I could to the pry bar. Grant used a pry bar to the bottom of the shaft, and slammed it a few times. It took us a bit, but once I started using my foot on the pry bar it came out pretty quickly.

I'll try the pry and slap routine :) ...
i just don't want to pry too hard and crack the case ... that would be a pita..

Ha! You didn't touch that half shaft! Grant and I got it out. (I think his name was Grant :shrug: . damn good mechanic whatever his name was)
I held a large pry bar to the top side of the half shaft. I layed on my back and used my foot to apply as much pressure as I could to the pry bar. Grant used a pry bar to the bottom of the shaft, and slammed it a few times. It took us a bit, but once I started using my foot on the pry bar it came out pretty quickly.

His name is Gus. :) And he is good! He never posts on the forums though. As for the half shaft... I have done it too many times so I thought it was funny watching you! and I was trying to tap it out through the diff at the same time douche! You couldn't see me because I was under the car getting dirty doing real work. :)

That is right I forgot. You were tapping the center pin the middle of the dif and not touching the actual half shaft. :crazy:

It was great that Gus was there!

Granted why I said you need a long flathead screwdriver to tap it out through the diff. :crazy: I would have annihilated the center pin if I had to because that trans was junk!!!

Never had a driver side axle I couldn't get with a slide hammer. And lets say I've done my fair share. See sig and add a few more on top of that just for axle replacements.

I got it back today, and shifts nice. They had a problem with the passenger side shaft. It wouldn't seat all the way. The clutch was engaging but the wheels weren't turning. Once they found the problem and fixed it they put everything back together and it seemed ok. They backed it off the lift, pulled forward about 20 feet and heard a thud. Come to find out it was not all the way in and broke something inside the last boot by the wheel. The guy called me and said they did it ..so they ate the cost of a new shaft, which is why I got it today. They felt bad, but after cutting me a deal and eating the cost of the shaft they didn't make much on the job. The 10 mile drive home felt ok. Thanks for everyone's input. Todd the pics are only on my phone so I can't post em.

Rod

how can you not have the pass. side shaft all the way in ?!?!
it just slides in and is held in place by the intermediate bearing...wow, i would be suspicious ...but then being suspicious is in my nature (and my job)... :)

Back