• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clarity requested on ATX interchange ability please (for 98 SE 2.5 AT specifically)

gtdjab

CEG'er
My understanding was 95-97 were a rail type system & did not interchange with newer, but 98 up were same style trans. Is this accurate info? I am trying to find a replacement trans for my SE, and certainly don't want to buy something I can't use. Ideally, I would like to find an entire car for motor & trans.. but haven't seen the DEAL yet. Thanks guys n gals! (Glad site is back up again!)

PS: also assuming the correct Mystique trans would swap evenly? Are there any other trans donors out there that fit?

Last edited:
Mystique will work too, get a six cylinder trans, 4 cylinder is same trans but weaker internal parts, you'll break it. Use '98 or later, by far better trans. Don't know where you get words 'rail type', has nothing to do with the ATX. '95-'97 same exact trans but later ones have mods to make them stronger.

That thought was indeed in my mind..........................

ok first thing first .... the original post is hard to understand ...

V6 and I4 transmissions are not interchangable, the bell housings are different. Also I have never once heard anyone say the I4 atx parts are weaker then the V6 atx. Can anyone share possitive proof/information on that?

As for interchange of atx transmissions, its best to stick to the same year, imho. I know on cougars that later models has a different speed sensor that isn't compatable with earlier cars. There could be any number of suttle differences between the years.

Also, as noted, the rod and cable style transmissions are for the mtx and have nothing to do with the atx.

this was what I was wondering as well, would I be able to replace my failing 98 CD4E with one from a 2000? I would like to take advantage of the slightly upgraded strength and revisions made to the 00 over the 98, but this speak of incompatible sensors worries me...

My bad, the 4 cyl is NOT the same even though both are CD4E. The direct and low/reverse clutches can have varying number of frictions/steels, three or four of each. I assume the 4 disc setup is for six cylinder motor, it's common to add clutch plates in bigger motors using same transmission. There are like 5 different F/C/D cylinders, the differences are in lengths of cylinder and snap ring locations depending on number of clutches used and coast clutch setup. I saw that specifically when looking for one for mine years ago. The main drive chain changes depending on engine size too I believe, there's more than one part listed, width changes to handle more load. Thinking CD4E pump driveshaft has two lengths, one for 4 and one for 6.

MANY ATX transmissions change number of discs, they add more with bigger motor to handle more torque. Aside from converter changing too, usually gets bigger. Less clutch on 4 cyl. adds mileage, less mass to turn...................

6 cylinder to V8 does same thing often. When rebuilding an ATX you always count discs to be sure they stack back up like stock when going back together. Sometimes they even change the disc thickness to use same cylinder and snap ring groove but one more disc stuck in there, I've seen that too.

My bad, the 4 cyl is NOT the same even though both are CD4E. The direct and low/reverse clutches can have varying number of frictions/steels, three or four of each. I assume the 4 disc setup is for six cylinder motor, it's common to add clutch plates in bigger motors using same transmission. There are like 5 different F/C/D cylinders, the differences are in lengths of cylinder and snap ring locations depending on number of clutches used and coast clutch setup. I saw that specifically when looking for one for mine years ago. Me and the counter guy had them all lined up on the counter. The main drive chain changes depending on engine size too I believe, there's more than one part listed, width changes to handle more load. Meaning sprockets will be different too. I've seen the two different chains by each other. Thinking CD4E pump driveshaft has two lengths, one for 4 and one for 6.

MANY ATX transmissions change number of discs, they add more with bigger motor to handle more torque. Aside from converter changing too, usually gets bigger. Less clutch on 4 cyl. adds mileage, less mass to turn...................

6 cylinder to V8 does same thing often. When rebuilding an ATX you always count discs to be sure they stack back up like stock when going back together. Sometimes they even change the disc thickness to use same cylinder and snap ring groove but one more disc stuck in there, I've seen that too.

The CD4E has been modded more times than most................

ok, so the question still stands, is there a definitive difference between a 1998.1 and say a 1999 or 2000 CD4E for the V6, (CD4E V6 to CD4E to V6, no "junior CD4E") when it comes to swapping? are we sure these part numbers matter, and aren't just there for superseding purposes (aka, part number A made in 1998 was deemed too weak, replace with part number B, introduced in 1998.5) to show that one had been re-engineered, indicating revision? I need to know, as I will be going to the yard next week to grab a trans, and it seems my luck on 98s isnt there, but 99 and 00 is...

They made irregular running changes whenever they wanted, not on any schedule, you use trans code to determine.

Later is better, the most improved was mid '98 and later. I'd go for '00 if you had choice. Somewhere in '99 they started using better 'high energy' clutchpack material, '00 for sure would have that, use Mercon V fluid for that. You may luck out by then and get the better F/C/D cylinder which caused so much earlier trouble. I've never heard of a definitive time when that part began being used.

The modded parts are not for naught, they make known problem areas better. This trans was released with so many troubles it's not funny, Mazda modded it several times before Ford took its' turn. Some later mods done so trans could be used in more severe service (bigger heavier vehicles).

ok, I got a cd4e out of an 00 contour. as previously stated, it does have a different VSS, it is in the side of the case, same side as the TSS, but in the section near the axle. on the other versions, there is a place for it in the casting, but it is filled in. however, there is still a hole for the old VSS, but there is a plastic cover over it held on with a bolt. upon removing this cover, I found the gear is still in there to drive the old VSS. I'm guessing this was done in case the newer cd4e was needed as a replacement for the older one, or different speed sensors being used on different vehicles. I am leaving the original new style VSS in, as I cannot find a cover that fits that hole. other than that it looks the same, but I won't know until I replace it. fingers crossed...

Have not seen this but first thing comes to mind for a possible plug is an expanding rubber freeze plug, I use them for all kinds of purpose like that.

Back