• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cities are getting hammered

MN DNR said:
CO Brandon McGaw reports lakes in the Babbitt area of Minnesota’s Iron Range have six to eight inches of slush on top of four to six inches of ice.

Ish :( frozen slush doesn't sound like a good time. I'll try to find some local reports from resorts on Upper Red and LOW.

Edit:
LOW webpage said:
Lake of the Woods and the Rainy River
December 24, 2007

Happy Holidays! Ice fishing at Lake of the Woods is in full swing. With 14-15 inches of ice resorts and anglers are driving out the big rigs now. The access road is in great shape, and the Big Traverse snowmobile trail has been staked. Fish are biting morning and evening with sporadic luck mid-day. Depths of 20-30 feet, around Pine Island, have been giving up nice limits. Hot colors have been pink, orange, and gold.

Over by the Clementson Rapids there is about 10-11 inches of ice and anglers are having luck finding the walleye in 15-18 feet of water. In the deeper water the current is stronger, so a ½ oz or heavier is necessary. The evening bite has been really well lately, but morning has been producing some nice trophy walleye as well.

The Northwest Angle is up and running, with reports of excellent fishing in 24-26 feet of water this is sure to be a great season for Lake of the Woods. Anglers have been doing very well in the evening around Oak Island and Flag Island.
http://www.lakeofthewoodsmn.com/fishing.asp

That doesn't sound so bad. 10 inches or better on average so shouldn't be any problems for the wheeler(s).

Last edited:
Ish :( frozen slush doesn't sound like a good time. I'll try to find some local reports from resorts on Upper Red and LOW.

Yeah, I remember a couple of years ago I was on a lake near the end of the season that had about 1/2 foot of slush. Kind of unsettling, wonder if your foot is going to hit any thing solid or if you would keep on going. Week later, ice was out.

Yeah, I remember a couple of years ago I was on a lake near the end of the season that had about 1/2 foot of slush. Kind of unsettling, wonder if your foot is going to hit any thing solid or if you would keep on going. Week later, ice was out.

Fun stuff :crazy: One year I was on Mille Lacs and there were inches of standing water ( no snow ) on top of the ice. When we drilled the holes the water would run down through the hole. Was the weirdest experience I've ever had ice fishing.

Basically from what I read the getting around on the lake is the hard part. Sounds like they have lots of problems with drifts and they're easy to get stuck in. Anywhere from 10-20" of ice though. Fishing sounds like it should be good (at least for Walleye, not so good for Crappie on URL). I'm getting excited :cool:

Back