• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Chocking when accelerates

Find the specs for it to check it with a voltmeter on the plug contacts and inspect for obvious damage. But I'll tell you right now its almost positively not your coil.

Flashing CEL

Flashing CEL

Hmmm, maybe the guy that retapped the thread on the spark plug cylinder( or whatever you call it) did a bad job, but I checked the plug and it's sitting pretty tight. Ok, if I had a problem with the spark plugs wouldn't I get another code besides the 174 and 171?

The flashing CEL is related to a misfire as others have noted. Usual cause is bad plug or wire. In my opion I would change the plugs and wires using the Motorcraft or Autolight OEM replacement parts. Gap plugs prior to install. Most members feel that these two brands provide the best service. The P0171 & P0174 are related to other issues not O2 sensors.
P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The code is set when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. Possible causes
Fuel System:
· Contaminated fuel injectors
· Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel (fuel pump, filter, fuel supply line restrictions)
· Vapor recovery system (VMV)
Induction System:
· MAF contamination
· Air leaks between the MAF and throttle body
· Vacuum leaks
· PCV system concern
· Improperly seated engine oil dipstick
EGR System:
· Leaking gasket
· Stuck EGR valve
· Leaking diaphragm or EVR
Base Engine:
· Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S
· Secondary air concern
Powertrain Control System:
· PCM concern

P0174 - System Too Lean (Bank 2) Same as DTC P0171, but Bank 2. See Possible Causes for DTC P0171
Since you have both codes I would look at the induction system causes. MAF, PCV, vacuum leaks first.
Dan

Last edited:
I'm having what I believe to be a misfire in the mid range as well, and I'm also throwing the 0171 and 0174.

mine's an 02 sable engine, and could have an egr leak. would an egr leak cause a misfire/loss of power in the midrange, or would you think it's an ignition problem?

Back