• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Change your cabin air filter!!!

From the same Petri dish, here is some fungus that grew from the dust shaken from my cabin air filter.

10× objective, 15× eyepiece; each numbered tick is 122 µM.

20091129_210544_FungusFromContourCabinAirFilter.jpg

10× objective, 10× eyepiece; Four different images at different levels of focus, “stacked” to produce one image with increased depth of field. This image covers an area approximately 1372×849 µM.

20091129_2107SS_FungusFromContourCabinAirFilter.jpg

Mines had 210 k miles when I bought it and it had never been changed. I went on eBay to see all the parts that are for sale for the "SVT Contour" and found through the search "2 95-02 Ford Contour & SVT,Mercury Cougar Cabin Filters" selling 2 cabin air filters for $15 and $1 for shipping, decided to buy it and changed it, I am sad for not taking any pictures but let me tell you it was one of the nastiest things I have seen. Glad I changed it, they even sent instructions on how to do it. Fixing to change it again, when I hit 15000 miles after I changed it.

changed mine today. not as bad as most of yours, but still pretty disgusting!

cabinairfilter.jpg

Interestingly enough, we had the car in the shop for an electrical issue (Bob's posted about it) recently. This shop specializes in electrical repairs. As usual for such places, there were various holders of brochures on different subjects, one of which was cabin air filters. The counter gent told me that most cars apparently have these (he was sure about GM). FYI for those who have other cars.

Yeesh I need to go check on mine. IIRC the guy who had it before me DID have it changed back in 2007. Then again, this is the same guy who paid $90 for oil changes/fluid checks ever 3,000 miles so who knows lol. What I really need to do is see about getting replacements for my wife's 2001 CR-V and my Cobra... Probably both original and nasty as hell.

changed mine today and it wasnt nearly as bad as i thought....and it had already been replaced with a napa gold. oh well.

weird that this got bumped to the top, i was just thinking of this thread. i went to do it this weekend but advance was out of stock...

on another note, i was walking through walmart and i saw cabin air filters (but i forget the brand name) with febreeze or something to keep the air "fresh", i almost grabbed one but it was like $28 for our size..i thought it was kind of steep so i decided to pass..anyone else seen these?

Looking to buy a new cabin air filter and looking on ebay the cheaper ones where 'TYC' brand and 'Bosch' brand.... either should be fine correct?

I would think so. 99% of cars never get their cabin air filter changed. I would think any brand would be better than what's in there now.

Also, you don't need to buy these online. You can get them at your local auto parts store.

Are they as cheap... these ones I was looking at on ebay where about $10 plus $5 shipping... Thought it would be cheaper than the parts store but maybe not?

Back