• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Carlisle- ALL FORD NATIONALS

Pulled off my wheels to paint the calipers last night only to find the front drivers side tire completely bald on the inside... Someone needs an alignment...

A little concerned about driving to carlisle like this since I won't have time to get it done before I go now.

if the rear tires are any better rotate them

But what's going to stop it from doing that?

Sam's club won't give me nearly as much $$ towards the next tires if they're worn unevenly.

you need to have the alignment check to see what is wrong. you might need a caster/camber kit. is your car lowered? if so what setup?

if you can't get new tires before the weekend put the best two up front.

you need to have the alignment check to see what is wrong. you might need a caster/camber kit. is your car lowered? if so what setup?

if you can't get new tires before the weekend put the best two up front.

the car isn't lowered. Would I even want to put new tires on without having the alignment checked first? I wouldn't want to start out wearing new ones unevenly...

Apparently, this isn't the first time this has happened to me... I posted the same thing in this thread over a year ago:

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=5154&highlight=inside+bald

And I see responses from you and Scott in there about wearing out tires on the way to Carlisle due to bad alignment... I'll make some calls to see if it can be done tomorrow morning before I leave...

actaully I need an alignment also. I never had it done when the shop that painted my car bend and replace a rear control arm and I have noticed alittle odd wear finally. but I am not to concerned at the exact moment as I need new tire, they are approaching the wear band so I will get it take care of then.

Normally, the inside tire wear is due to lowering of car, which throws off camber (vertical slant of tires). On the Contour, it is not adjustable unless you install a camber kit. IIRC, only the toe-in angle is adjustable, have a good shop check that, and if needed, rotate the tires as Brian stated.

I saw in that thread that it could be the ball joint...

think it will be okay for the 400+ mile round trip to carlisle?

depends on the tires I suppose. get the best ones up front if you can't get new ones.

in my case I have been lucky and my tires have worn perfectly even, until recently so there isn't much different between the front and rear tires now. worst case for me I put the E0 on the car or swap wheels with the SVT for the weekend.

depends on the tires I suppose. get the best ones up front if you can't get new ones.

in my case I have been lucky and my tires have worn perfectly even, until recently so there isn't much different between the front and rear tires now. worst case for me I put the E0 on the car or swap wheels with the SVT for the weekend.

Random question, which car(s) are you bringing?

haha, every year I had my mustang, and stood no chance at the "Super-Modified 87-93" awards.

This year, my 48k miles bone stock t-green has a much better chance to win, since I would imagine there arent too many stock svt contours going.

Mine is bone stock, but I won't be in the SVT area. Besides, I've not gotten around to re-painting my calipers. Probably take some demerits there. :D This year, I figured I'd take it a little easier and simplify my life. I've cleaned and clayed, now just need to wax and do some minor touch up inside the car, then hit the bricks. :cool:

Mine is bone stock, but I won't be in the SVT area. Besides, I've not gotten around to re-painting my calipers. Probably take some demerits there. :D This year, I figured I'd take it a little easier and simplify my life. I've cleaned and clayed, now just need to wax and do some minor touch up inside the car, then hit the bricks. :cool:

im stock as well. :) my calipers are CRAP. but i dont even care about them right now. i just more excited about going.. LOL. dad said all year that i would not be allowed to go, and 3 weeks ago he said i could go. so yeh....

I saw in that thread that it could be the ball joint...

think it will be okay for the 400+ mile round trip to carlisle?

I would think so, it's not all that far, about a week of normal driving for me.:laugh:

The tires didn't look so bad at the cruise, I think they'll make the trip ok. You haven't noticed any shaking or humming in steering, have you?

whos gonna be at carlisle on saturday with a pre-98? im makin a mesh grille and have left over mesh for one more. unfortunetly i dont have a pic but i like them and think their pretty proffessional looking for being hand made. who ever thinks they might want this left over grille let me know and i'll bring it along. i got the idea for these grilles from dyaballikl's how to but they are not similar. im using different mesh and the mesh isnt wrapped around an old grille but i did use my old grille to form the correct shape.

EDIT: by the way its free. and your ford emblem will also beable to work on the grille. i cant guarentee you will beable to get it perfectly aligned though.

I would think so, it's not all that far, about a week of normal driving for me.:laugh:

The tires didn't look so bad at the cruise, I think they'll make the trip ok. You haven't noticed any shaking or humming in steering, have you?

Shaking, yes. At highway speeds... That's been happening for a while... The wheel kindof shakes a bit. I assumed it was the wheels needing re-balanced.

Back