• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car dosent want to wake up in the cold?

Ft.WorthSVT

CEG'er
This is the second winter in which my 2000 SVT wont start during cold weather (32-40 or lower). I had the fuel pressure checked last year and everything checked out good. So I changed the plugs, wires, fuel pump and fuel filter but still the problem is not gone? I have no check engine light, and was wondering if there is some type of temperature sensor or something? As the day warms a little the car starts with no problem, its just in the morning when it's the coldest it just turns over and over? Any help would be greatly appreciated. What would I do without CEG.

How fast does it turn over? if its rather slow then your battery may not be up to the task. check the CCA rating on the battery. IIRC it should be at least 750. can someone verify that number?

this appears to be a real problem with contours/SVTs.
i wonder about your injectors?
you may want to first start using midgrade to premium gas.........alot less water which is one of the causes of hard starts/stumbling.:nonono:
Also run (chevron or lucas) water removal as the water can crystalize and clog the fuel filter as well as the injectors.

Is there anything else I could maybe check? The car runs good and fine, like normal except for in the morning and evening when the car has been sitting for a while.

After the first time it happened I bought new motorcraft plugs that were pre-gapped. The prob. went away for a couple of days then came back again. During the summer it was fine, it only happens when it gets cold? This morning it would'nt start (5:00 a.m.) but when i got off of work i got in and it started right up (2:00 p.m.)? It was probably only around 38 deg. this morning and around 60 this afternoon. I bought a new battery when I changed the plugs last year.

Last edited:
verify the plug gap and check to make sure you have the correct plug temp range. too cold, even by just one step, and you can have problems starting the car in the winter.

try some fuel stablizer. my buddy's dad's 79 camaro has the same problem and is garaged! bottle of fuel stablizer and it goes away. there is stuff comes in a yellow bottle cant remember the name... something heat???

try some fuel stablizer. my buddy's dad's 79 camaro has the same problem and is garaged! bottle of fuel stablizer and it goes away. there is stuff comes in a yellow bottle cant remember the name... something heat???
Yes, it is HEET.

it can still be the battery. ford computers need alot of voltage to get the computer to turn on. if you have a volt meter and a friend check the voltage at the battery when you are trying to start your car. if it drops below 10v your computer will die and its time for a new battery. your starter can still work almost perfict at about 8 volts giving you no indication that its not working right

Last edited:
Back