• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car died while driving

livelyjay

CEG'er
2000 Ford Contour SE
Automatic with leaking transmission
135000 miles
Have replaced: Timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, battery, alternator, cam position sensor, fuel pump, struts, ball joints

My wife reported that her car randomly died driving home from work yesterday. She said it completely shut off. She was able to start it back up without any problems, and everything still works. What would cause this?

hmm, i would check ALL ur electrical connections.

My 95 tour has an issue that kills the engine if my right wheel hits a curb really hard.

Its hard to tell, but electrical connectors (even ur PCM connector) should be checked

vacuum leak

vacuum leak

Mine has a vacuum leak (96 model zetec) and I have to throw it in neutral at a stop when it the engine is up to normal operating temp or it will die. My guess is one of the rubber hoses on the pcv is leaking. I went to the dealer this morning to try and buy a rubber hose for the pcv and it was all discontinued. Since yours is a 2000 maybe it is still available. I'll have to figure out exactly where its leaking now and just try and fix that. Of course I could modify the pcv with braided hose and an fittings and relocate the PVC to the valve cover area where its easy to get to. I haven't formulated a plan just yet but here's the drawings for a 95-97 2.0L 4 banger zetec. The 98 and up had a newer version of the zetec although it is still plagued with some of the same vacuum problems. The lower hose from your pcv will tie into the block below the exhaust manifold and the heat has probably cracked it over the last 10 yrs. Your pcv valve is located under the thermostat where it at the head (look for the upper hose from the radiator and follow it to the area on the motor where the thermostat is).

Attachments

• PCV System.JPG
    PCV System.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Valve Cover vacuum hose .jpg
    Valve Cover vacuum hose .jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 0
Back